Reply to post: Re: Arrested for being drunk

Tesla autopilot saves driver after he fell asleep at wheel on the freeway

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Arrested for being drunk

One for the Widows and Orphans fund, or a shaggy dog story. Almost all UK speed restrictions apply to mechanically propelled vehicles only

Some issues there.

1) Cops seldom know the law, aside from "is it faster than the posted limit".

2) The law may not be as you think it is.

3) A bicycle is mechanically propelled. The pedals, crank, sproket, chain and whatever the rear hub uses is mechanical.

3a) I could make a rocket-powered vehicle that has no mechanical parts to it. I could theoretically even have no valves to control fuel input, and just burn fuel at a constant rate. I'd be able to break speed limits while not being able to be ticketed?

3b) Using such a law as an excuse would probably have been used by someone to claim their vehicle was 'coasting' at the time, thus not mechanically powered, thus not subject to such laws. Any such past law is probably since repealed.

4) Just because it's what the law says doesn't mean it's what the cops act on. And most people are not so well versed in the law that they'd have the knowledge to challenge the cops. Most people consider speeding as a strict liability offence; their vehicle was travelling faster than the limit therefore they're guilty.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon