Reply to post: Re: This is why calls should have end to end encryption

Now you, too, can snoop on mobe users from 3G to 5G with a Raspberry Pi and €1,100 of gizmos

Harry Stottle

Re: This is why calls should have end to end encryption

Unless you're using the new feature (version 8+) "Private Conversation" I hope you're not under any illusion that your "normal" Skype calls are E2EE. Frankly, we should be seriously sceptical even about their so called Private Conversation. There is no formal independent audit (in the public domain) to verify its claims and Microsoft's track record of co-operation with the TLAs is legendary (and, as many of us, including fellow Reg commentards, speculated at the time, probably accounts for their purchase of Skype in the first place)

I've tried out their allegedly "Private Conversation" and it "feels" like Security Theatre. Unlike the much better attested E2EE options (eg Wire, Viber, Blizz, Signal, Qtox, Wimi etc ) all of which all manage to cope with conference calls and video, and some of which also manage screen sharing, Skype's PC offers voice only and one party at each end only. No Video, no screen sharing. Why is that? I can list some of the more obvious options:

1) the other providers are incompetent and bluffing about their security.

2) Microsoft are unable to find competent security engineers to create their own multiparty version

3) They have calculated this is the "least they can do" to ward off demands for genuine privacy/security but by making its functionality so limited, they ensure that most users will ignore it (and stick out like sore thumbs when they choose it)

4) They just want to make users feel "it's so limited it must be secure" while, in reality the TLAs continue to have unimpeded access.

My money's on the last option, with an each way bet on (3)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon