Reply to post: Re: Of course, given recent statements from the rumor mill...

It's the wobbly Microsoft service sweepstake! If you have 'Teams', you've won a lifetime Slack sub

JohnFen

Re: Of course, given recent statements from the rumor mill...

"What do you mean poorly on Linux?"

Since nobody else has answered this, I'll take a stab at it. First, the open source versions of PowerShell are still very new and have the elevated number of bugs you would expect from new software. So I'll ignore those.

Here's what I think is the fundamental problem with PowerShell on Linux -- compatibility. PowerShell does not handle the differences between platforms well at all, and they are not fully interchangeable. So if you write a PowerShell script for one system, there is no guarantee that it will work on another system. The PowerShell ports also implement a subset of what is available in the proprietary version. There are commands available in some environments that simply are not available in others. PowerShell is full of gotchas along similar lines.

The scripting tools that ship with Linux distributions have none of those problems (and are easier to use and more powerful anyway). Not to mention that in order to use it, you have to talk Linux users into taking the extra step of installing PowerShell in the first place. I think getting more than a minority to do this would be a heavy lift.

Given those problems, I honestly can't think of a real world use case for PowerShell on anything except Windows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon