Reply to post: Re: Anything that eliminates lawyers is a good thing in my book

Shall we have AI judging UK court cases? Top beak ponders the future

Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Anything that eliminates lawyers is a good thing in my book

I beg to differ. That will leave just court and prosecution.

1. Nobody qualified to check if the evidence has been collected legally and is indeed representing what it is supposed to represent. The temptation to "adjust the evidence" to get a conviction is HUGE. Just look at USA with their psychological torture and arm twisting to get "plea deals" or Russia where the same process is very physical "Magnitski style".

2. Nobody qualified to check if there are multiple conflicting laws or there is a priority ladder (law, constitution, international treaties)

3. Nobody qualified to check if the accused has been allowed to have access to all of the evidence.

Lawyers are a necessary evil I am afraid and so far we have not learned how to live without them. In fact all experiments on living without them have ended with large groups of people being walked down a corridor painted in institutional green finishing with a wall with a lot of pockmarks in it. As someone who has had 95% of his relatives (up to 3 degrees distant) on the mother's side end up in front of such wall at some point in history I have to disagree with you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon