Reply to post: Re: Significant effort and investment to make it work consistently

ICO to probe facial recog amid concerns UK cops can't shake their love for unregulated creepy tech

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Significant effort and investment to make it work consistently

Do this AFTER a proper public debate and a solid set of ethical rules are arrived at.

Why would they need either, when they've successfully carpeted the UK with ANPR cameras? A quick look couldn't find how many are now operating as part of the national network, but round my way all A roads are covered, and they've even got multiple coverage of some B roads, so I'd hazard a guess that nationally there's perhaps 30,000 (not including "enrolled" cameras of private CCTV or other public sector bodies, like the Highways Agency). As any fule noes, the ANPR system hasn't made a jot of difference to the distribution of drugs, or the ability of organised criminals to conduct business.

So, with ANPR, we have (1) big cost, (2) no debate or informed consent by the public, (3) it isn't terribly effective - but (4) they've done it anyway. I suspect facial recognition will follow the same four step model. And sooner or later, some senior Plod will propose what a fantastic idea it would be to build a National Facial Recognition Data Centre, just like they've done with ANPR.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon