Reply to post: "drive a car without demonstrating a minimum level of competency"

Here are another 45,000 reasons to patch Windows systems against old NSA exploits

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"drive a car without demonstrating a minimum level of competency"

When I took my driving license 30 years ago what they taught (and you needed to know) about car systems were already hopelessly outdated. No way you can do anything on an actual car, but changing a flat tire (and in my car, not even it as it doesn't have a spare but relies on run-flat ones). Open the bonnet, and you won't find almost anything you can operate on, you can refill some oil/water, and check tires pressure, but not much more. You look at the car display, and it tells you what you need to know - go to a repair centre.

And given the amount of people who drive with a mobe in their hands, often in expensive cars which surely must have a Bluetooth hands-free system, they can't even pair their expensive phones...

Sure, once upon a time the risk of being stranded with a broken car far away from a phone was very high. You needed to be able to try to repair simple issues. But today?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon