Reply to post: Meanwhile, maybe they can make it work

Little FYI: Wi-Fi calling services on AT&T, T-Mobile US, Verizon are insecure, say boffins

doublelayer Silver badge

Meanwhile, maybe they can make it work

While they're taking a look at this to see whether there are really any security problems that need fixing, perhaps they could make calls over WiFi functional? I frequently visit a building where mobile signal is terrible, and completely nonfunctional without leaning out a window (people literally do this). It does have comprehensive wired and WiFi network connections, though, so I figured I'd just enable WiFi calling and we'd be back to normal. Which we are in terms of quality when a call is established; it's usually very clear. The only tiny problems are that:

1. Calls drop randomly, requiring a reconnect,

2. After receiving and answering a call, I have to spend about five seconds waiting for the connection to happen so the person on the other end can hear me,

3. When sending a call, there's a fifty-fifty chance that it will go through immediately with good clarity of sound or immediately drop making the person think that I've just called them and immediately hung up,

4. When moving, and therefore changing from one AP to another, quality for the other person drops. At least they complain that they cannot hear me anymore, although I can always hear them fine.

No, I don't know why this is, but it really isn't helping. So maybe they could figure out why and fix it. If they find security problems on the way, fix as needed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon