Reply to post: Re: Please let me know where you work...

Q: If Pesky Pepper had a peek at patient papers, at how many patient papers did Pesky Pepper peek? A: 231

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Please let me know where you work...

I've had boring jobs. I had an internship back in my university days where I had very little to do, was being paid very little, and did not feel great about it. I could have broken into so many things; the company had a bunch of systems and wasn't great at security. People's documents, communications, and systems were open wide to me, and I couldn't even have gotten caught because my job gave me a perfect excuse for going into any clients' systems (it shouldn't have, but it did). I didn't. I didn't because that would be wrong.

When I had time where there was nothing to do, and I was very bored, I'd look for extra work that needed to be done. But sometimes there wasn't any. So I wasted time on finding out the optimal size of a binary chunk for getting the least time when running different hashing algorithms (incidentally, at that time it was 256 kilobytes for SHA1 and 512 kilobytes for MD5, now it's almost certainly different). I wrote reports on things the managers would never read, but at least I got to research and learn about those things. In short, I found ways to spend my time that were entirely ethical. I respected my employer, only doing something else if there was no work to do, but above all I respected everyone who trusted them, and did not violate their trust. I would hope that everyone reading this would do the same.

Posting anonymous because I've been let's say very honest about this company's competence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon