Reply to post: Heres the issue

Q: If Pesky Pepper had a peek at patient papers, at how many patient papers did Pesky Pepper peek? A: 231

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Heres the issue

The folks that read this site are (aherm) a pretty educated lot....

And even here its going a bit do laley over whether or not the person was really causing any harm....

Sure, I might not want Sally next door to know my STD results, or work colleague Ben to know I had a bout of the sh1ts the other day and stank the loos out....

BUT....do I really care that much that someone who is qualified and authorised to read through my records as part of their job sifts through some personal data.....as long as they keep it to themselves, dont tell anyone and keep it as confidential as its supposed to be.....the answer is, probably not.

But give a set of Daily Mail readers the same circumstances and wow, watch the sparks fly....she would be hung drawn and quartered, not just hit with a measly £1k fine!

I think the point is that she was caught reading a co-workers file.....and it all escalated from there, with some goody two shoes that just had to involve the ICO....probably because of said Daily Mail readers....

This has gone waaay out of all proportion (hence the peanuts fine).

Now, if it was some hacker looking for medical records to use as extortion....thats when its a real problem.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon