Reply to post: Unanswered questions..

GCHQ pushes for 'virtual crocodile clips' on chat apps – the ability to silently slip into private encrypted comms

Anonymous Coward
IT Angle

Unanswered questions..

> It is the most reasonable attempt yet, but I still see too many unanswered questions about security of the connection

I have some unanswered questions too.

o How do I test the GCHQ interface? If I write a shiny new chat app, that is peer-to-peer, how do I test against an interface that doesn't yet exist? And if GCHQ intend to provide 'standard' interfaces, what happens if my app's design doesn't quite align with their standard interface?

o Assuming GCHQ do eventually produce an interface that is dedicated to my app, or aligns with my app's modus operandi, then how do I retro-fit the changes back to existing sold copies without alerting users to a new version that they may choose not to install?

o How will I prevent the users detecting a third data connection out of their device (cos it's peer-to-peer)?

These can't be the only practical objections. Some more clarity on how GCHQ expect these issues to go away would be welcome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon