Reply to post: Re: Errr....

Apple in another dust-up with its fans: iMacs, MacBooks lack filters, choke on grime – lawsuit

msknight

Re: Errr....

Most PC's and laptops can be taken apart and be maintained. I have an 8 year old I7 Tosh laptop that's still rocking. A number of the laptops I've used have had panels underneath which give access to the heatsinks so that they can be brushed clear.

Regular maintenance is just part of owning a machine, like changing the oil on a car... something which the average consumer just doesn't seem to be aware of. It's as if they think that laptops, etc. are just magic boxes that sit under desks and perform their magic until the hard drive gets full and it's time to change the whole box, because the operating system is not supported any more... or some such guff. (in my neck of the woods, the PSU seems to be the most common point of early failure these days. Used to be RAM death.)

So the idiot tax is working exactly as designed... a tax on idiots ... or to be more honest, those who are uneducated in maintenance of their machines. And those who are now educated in such things, are starting to get upset because they've finally realised how Apple works. (and a few others, to be honest... some laptops do require a certain degree of disassembly for dust maintenance... those who install the screw panels are the good guys who put a bit of extra thought for the customer)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon