Reply to post: Re: Advocatus Diaboli

Baroness Trumpington, former Bletchley Park clerk, dies aged 96

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Advocatus Diaboli

What she did for the Conservatives looks to be the usual mix of being a JP, local councillor and doing charity work. I admit here that I just popped into Wikipedia for a look - and it's not a well written article, but she didn't half get up to a lot. Assuing it's all true of course.

She seems to have done a bunch of Quango work, like being a member of the mental health tribunal (appointed by Labour in the 70s) - and as the piece says representing the country at the UN.

The peerage seems to have come during the time she was at the UN (1980), so I'd imagine it came because of that. But may also have been because Thatcher was planning to make her a minister later, when she came back? She also seems to have been involved in the diplomatic bits of Court - hence being made a Baroness and a privy councillor in 1980.

On Desert Island Discs she asked for the Crown Jewels as her luxury item. That way she'd have a better chance of getting rescued. Well played that woman!

I also approve of her having been a steward for Folkestone racecourse. So she clearly liked a drink, a smoke and a flutter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon