Reply to post: Re: Win10 telemetry had one job. And it failed.

Groundhog Day comes early as Intel Display Drivers give Windows 10 the silent treatment

mark l 2 Silver badge

Re: Win10 telemetry had one job. And it failed.

"How do you keep a Windows 10 system from auto-updating itself? I thought it didn't let you block updates."

There is no official way to stop feature updates installing themselves on Home/Pro versions. But you can set your internet connection to metered. This stops it downloading the feature updates automatically but still downloads security updates. I think you will only get security updates for 18 months from whenever the version your currently on was released doing this though, then you will have to update to a new feature update to carry on getting security patches.

I have also found that it won't install feature updates automatically if you have less than 10GB of free space on your device. Which bearing in mind some entry level Win10 tablets only come with 32GB of internal storage which about 12GB is taken up with just the Windows OS. So once you have put on a few programs you can find you have less than 10GB of storage available quite easily.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon