Reply to post: Re: My 5 is still good

OnePlus 6T: Tasteful, powerful – and much cheaper than a flagship

jmch Silver badge

Re: My 5 is still good

I think that phones have already a couple of years ago passed the threshold of vastly diminishing returns. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, which was the flagship model 3 1/2 years ago.

Sure, newer phones have faster processors, sharper screens, better cameras, wireless charging.... but the gains are marginal and the new features aren't 'must-haves' (and in some cases like audio jack, the newer phones are going backwards).

When I got my phone it was already over 1 year old model picked up for around £300. If I had to replace it, I completely fail to see the compulsion of spending north of £500 for a new phone as opposed to £££ less for a model that's a year or two old but still offering more functionality and performance than I could ever imagine needing. £500-£600 for a flagship model a few years ago was already steep, but maybe justifiable for someone using the processing power/screen for games or amateur photographers who wanted a really good on-the-go snapper. But £700 to over a grand for a phone that's only marginally better than something that cost £300 2 years ago is batshit mental

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon