Reply to post: Re: Schadenfreude

If at first or second you don't succeed, you may be Microsoft: Hold off installing re-released Windows Oct Update

Ilsa Loving

Re: Schadenfreude

I just bought a new gaming laptop with the intent of putting Linux on it.

So far not all the keyboard fn keys work (eg brightness). Not a biggie but annoying.

Optimus isn't working properly so until I figure out how to get Bumblebee (and maybe VirtualGL) working right. I have to log out every time I switch graphics chips.

HiDPI is mishandled by the majority of distros. I had to try several before I finally settled on Linux Mint Cinnamon. (And even then I need to play with env variables for certain apps)

Still trying to find decent equivalents of basic software like a PIM suite. The software landscape for business-quality apps on Linux is frustratingly barren. I did at least find a good quality PDF Viewer/Editor to replace Adobe: Qoppa PDF Studio. None of the usual suspects (Evince, etc) can handle a PDF form with embedded javascript.

So yeah, Linux has a long way to go before it can come close to being a viable alternative to Windows or Mac for the average person.

And to save time: No, there is no equivalent laptop with the desired specs, that is sold with Linux on it. If there had been, I would have bought it! The closest is the Oryx Pro from System76, but it's battery is nowhere near large enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon