Reply to post: Re: 1809v2 causing processor (capped speed) throttling on older Core 2 Duo Processors?

Microsoft lobs Windows 10, Server Oct 2018 update at world (minus file-nuking 'feature') after actually doing some testing

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: 1809v2 causing processor (capped speed) throttling on older Core 2 Duo Processors?

Noticed extremely sluggish performance after upgrading 1803 to 1809 last night, then checked the Intel processor speeds.

Installed on an older Core 2 Duo Processor (test machine) using MS update tool and the processor speed upper liimit was capped to 1.1GHz down from 2.5GHz. A quick reset of the power settings in the old Control Panel seemed to do the trick though but how many people will take this as their computer is just too slow to run Windows 10 and buy a new one?

Am I sensing a deliberate Apple Style processor throttling, to boost sales of new Win10 devices?

(I suppose we should be thankful it can run on a processor from 8 years ago, unlike Apple's macOS Mojave that is hard blocked from being installed on older <2012 models).

Installing macOS with all it's caveats (in terms of older hw), is actually harder than installing Windows 10 today, never thought I'd say that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon