Reply to post: Re: no mention of the different types of filaments that can be used

Another 3D printer? Oh, stop it, you're killing us. Perhaps literally: Fears over ultrafine dust

BugabooSue

Re: no mention of the different types of filaments that can be used

PLA is biodegradable- if you have an Industrial Composter to hand - that garden type isn’t going to cut it.

PLA does smell - usually a bit sweet with a slight curry undertone. PLA, if overheated is not all that nice - gives off carcinogens. It also has a habit of bursting into flames if overheated as it hydrolyses around the hotend and nozzle so won’t flow away like most petrochemical-based filaments.

I write the safety MSDS for our filaments. These are based on the raw plastic stock that we extrude from. ALL plastics suck in one area or another. If you think otherwise, you are deluded.

The trick is to be smart when using this stuff - reduce the risks from the unknown. People thought asbestos was safe when they first starting using it - they even sprayed it out of huge firehose-like nozzles to coat enginerooms of warships and metal girders of large buildings...

I’m not suggesting that the sky will fall in by using a 3D printer, just don’t be an idiot.

Unless you are using an SLA resin 3D printer - uncured resin and fumes from that shit is NASTY!!

Not only can it cause all sorts of illnesses, the effect of exposure is cumulative. I won’t have that crap anywhere around other people. I think they are awesome, just be aware of the risks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon