Reply to post:

Microsoft lobs Windows 10, Server Oct 2018 update at world (minus file-nuking 'feature') after actually doing some testing

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@gerritv:

I've done many projects involving software as complex as Windows 10, easily, except defects weren't allowed to exist that might impact functionality, especially safety. That's why what I do is called safety-critical. The difference between myself and Microsoft is that if I fucked up, people were going to end up dead with millions of dollars of damage occurring. Billions of dollars wasn't out of the realm of possibility. The US Government might be a little ticked to come up missing a destroyer or Naval Air Station. I had to literally write bulletproof code.

The techniques involved are tedious in the extreme, formal verification just as an example, there are others involved. What consumed most of my time was not writing defect free software, it was insuring that the other code, the hardware, and especially the operating system itself couldn't be allowed to stab me in the back. I used to drop long lists of defects off at the trade shows to the various vendors asking them to fix their software.

So, I've zero patience for Microsoft's engineering processes, such as they are, when this kind of crap, that was reported to Microsoft by user-testing yet was released into the wild. Last point: I used to test their server software in alpha and beta status. For years. I can probably dig up my Beta ID if you'd like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon