Reply to post: Re: So what?

YouTube supremo says vid-streaming-slash-piracy giant can't afford EU's copyright overhaul

Duncan Macdonald

Re: So what?

I watch a lot of YouTube videos - and as far as I am aware none of them are pirated. A badly thought out copyright rule may remove one of my best forms of entertainment (certainly better than the rubbish on TV). There are also a lot of instructional videos on YouTube - if they are removed because of the EU copyright rubbish then that will harm a number of people who use them.

A number of media firms use extracts or single songs on YouTube to advertise their products (Sony and UMG are among the companies doing this).

YouTube is also the shop window for a number of media companies who use videos on YouTube to show their capabilities to potential new clients.

There is also a lot of performances of out of copyright songs uploaded by the performing artist.

There is an old rule in law which should be applied - it is better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man be jailed.

(Most of the current commercial films and music is so bad that there is no point in pirating it - even party political broadcasts are better!!!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon