Reply to post:

This just in: What? No, I can't believe it. The 2018 MacBook Air still a huge pain to have repaired

JLV

In the recent macOS penguinista article there were many suggestions for Linux based alternatives. I ran past the usual suspects and was not that impressed. A highly kitted out Dell or Lenovo is cheaper than a MBP but not by a huge amount ($2700 vs $3600 is not that great if it puts me in charge of driver configuration and installation after wiping Windows - I frankly dislike that chore, sorry. Been there, done failed that).

And lots of them seem to have the same spiffy, sleek, sexy look as macs. And likely the same soldered & glued innards as this article. Leaving me pretty much where I would be with a mac, albeit on Linux. But Linux retro-installed on Windows hardware, most likely.

But one person recommended Librems by Purism. I could care less about some of their ideological aims, such as banishing non Libre components, to be honest. But they apparently have fully swappable RAM and SSD layouts - std Phillips screwdriver and you can go to town.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3223865/laptop-computers/purism-librem-15.html

Now, that gets me all hot and bothered. And a custom Linux distro, which could be very good - stable drivers+hardware. Or bad, as in a rebranding exercise that gets you further from std distros without adding value.

Anyone used them in anger? Happy?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon