Reply to post: Re: as much, if not more, energy to mine

Dollar for dollar, crafting cryptocurrency sucks up 'more energy' than mining gold, copper, etc

bombastic bob Silver badge
Meh

Re: as much, if not more, energy to mine

"If you want to mine gold yourself, then panning for gold is certainly viable in NZ and Oz."

California and Alaska as well. Probably other places, too. But for fun, not so much profit.

Making actual money probably requires some real investment in equipment, sluicing, and whatnot. There are 'reality' TV shows on cable networks that show people actually doing this.

It might pay better to dredge a river delta, if you can afford tiny percentages of gold and silver and whatnot in the silt. that assumes it hasn't been over-dredged already.

maybe some day when space travel is more common, you'll see independent miners heading for asteroids and planets like Mercury where rocky stuff is more prevalent and it's still possible to access all of it if you're careful about the sun being up every 40 out of 80 days for a given location. [I'd think mobile equipment staying ahead of daybreak might do it].

But yeah, when the price of gold makes it profitable to go to extreme places to get it, people will. Or, just do it for fun on a weekend trip with the kids.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon