Reply to post: Re: I can't get the sensor to fit

Roscosmos: An assembly error doomed our Soyuz, but we promise it won't happen again

martinusher Silver badge

Re: I can't get the sensor to fit

>When you see that compared to the crudity of people trying to get ring compressors to line up over a piston, you appreciate real quality engineering. The Japanese bikes were never that much better than the British ones, especially when they were both relatively new, but the attention to detail in the assembly is much more obvious with the Japanese one. (They Japanese also seemed to put 'working' as a key criteria for outsourced components such as electrical parts -- they like stuff to be cheap but they regard working as somewhat more important.)

When you compare the service manual for my old Triumph with that for a generic Japanese motorcycle then you immediately understand why the old bike leaks and has had periodic reliability problems (up to and including a broken connecting rod) while the Japanese bike(s) just run. Its not really the line workers that are to blame but the company culture, it sets the tone.

The good news with Soyuz is that the emergency escape system got a good workout and seems to be functioning. Its also impressive that they could find the problem by looking at the pile of bits of crushed and twisted metal (and the telemetry).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon