Reply to post: Re: I would refuse to buy ANYTHING with built in Alexa

Buried in the hype, one little detail: Amazon's Alexa-on-a-chip could steal smart home market

Chz

Re: I would refuse to buy ANYTHING with built in Alexa

"Some microwave ovens provide superb examples of very bad UI design."

Some? How about most?

I swear there's a secret cabal somewhere, dedicated to ensuring that microwave UIs get progressively worse over the years. The technology itself has barely changed in decades, and yet every time I get a new one it's more difficult to use than the one it replaced. They've come up with *one* good idea in that time (press the start button multiple times to add +1 minute), and destroyed that benefit with several steps back elsewhere.

I used to be able to punch a power level with a dedicated button (one keypress), then key in the time I want and press Go.

Now I have to press power, twist a knob to the power level I want, press power again, twist the stupid fucking knob (GODDAMNIT I HATE THAT KNOB) to the amount of time I want, hopefully not anything over 3 minutes so I don't have to sit there spinning the damned thing, and then press start. And if I want to add time, it's only in increments of a minute - which is easily the difference between lukewarm and charcoal for some foods.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon