Reply to post: Re: Cute, but not for long

Defense Distributed starts selling gun CAD files amid court drama

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Cute, but not for long

@ J. Cook

Thanks for the response, seems I wasn't too far off.

It seems that the only aspect of actual control over AR-15s is in the measures used to document the supply of lower receivers, whether that be as a stripped part or in the form of a complete weapon. So the concern about CNC designs being made available to allow anyone with the appropriate equipment available to make as many of them as they want is a real one.

Of course, whether you think this is important or not will tend to be coloured by the individual's support for gun control in general, which might explain why this case is generating so much debate. From a non-US viewpoint the prospect of making these weapons readily available seems completely crazy, but it's not my circus.

I do at least understand how the US came to this position, i.e. why the 2nd amendment exists in the first place. Even the 2008 SC judgement that consolidated the free for all that people assumed the 2nd represented makes a certain kind of sense - any other decision would have deprived a lot of americans of the guns they already owned. Never going to fly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon