Reply to post: Re: Cute, but not for long

Defense Distributed starts selling gun CAD files amid court drama

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Cute, but not for long

"3D gun plans have been out for years"

And idiots have been making guns out of odd shit ever since they laid their hands on gunpowder or compressed air,

The story is only unverifiable because the people supposedly involved won't say anything about it (+) but in the 1950s at my high school there was a fad for making .22 single shot pistols out of fountain pens which only stopped when a pupil(*) was accidentally shot with one(**) during some horsing during a chemistry class(***)

(+) As in "refuse to confirm or deny". The shooting and subsequent crackdown on dangerous metalwork projects made the local paper though.

(*) now a prominent retired local medic and parent of one of my classmates

(**) Supposedly by my 1980s 4th form chemistry teacher(++)

(***) This was a school where we made ammonium triiodide booby traps under adult(?) supervision and where a teacher(+++) split the school swimming pool open using a "substantial quantitity" of sodium wrapped in newspaper during a demonstration (it was eventually paved over after 15 years of failed repair attempts)

(++) Yes, it was the kind of school where ex-pupils returned after university PhDs to teach chemistry... and other things.

(+++) Not the same teacher. This guy was mad as a box of frogs (in a good way) and inspired a lot of people to take up science careers. He was (of course) also an ex-pupil.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon