Reply to post: Re: Long live Windows production servers

Oracle Database 18: Now in downloadable Linux flavour

asdf

Re: Long live Windows production servers

>That's not a problem with Windows that a problem with your AV vendor / your testing and rollout process.

IE corporate security who gets the last say. News flash many on here might nod their heads at when you are in manufacturing the corporate headquarters IS doesn't always have the 24/7/365 mindset. As for Linux being good enough perhaps but exist in a space where I care 100x more about reliability than performance or latest wiz bang features (yes yes you can go super redundant with Linux and BSD which I would probably be all for in a new non legacy system). The software I am running minus the occasional enhancement hasn't changed in a decade. Luckily corporate is letting me migrate to Itanium HP-UX instead of Linux but even dreading that some. I will also be honest and say we do most of our new development with software running on Windows boxes because it is at least an order of magnitude quicker to develop with. 90%+ of the support calls I do get when its on my side and are general server issues are on the Windows boxes (or corporate network or oracle dbs problems but I digress) though. The future may not be big iron UNIX but hoping it can carry some ways towards retirement at least :P I don't need HPE any more (for at least another 5 to 10 years) really because luckily people there in the past got it right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon