Reply to post: pop up a warning?

Have to use SMB 1.0? Windows 10 April 2018 Update says NO

Nate Amsden

pop up a warning?

I haven't heard of this so assume it hasn't happened. But if not it would of been nice for MS to pop up a warning message when connecting to SMB1 shares to alert the user. More props if they pop up a warning for SMB1 capable servers even if the clients are able to connect via a newer version of the protocol.

I'd wager ~98% of the users out there have no idea what SMB version they might be using(or even how to tell). I count myself among those. My usage of SMB is quite small though I do have a samba system at home, just doing a quick check on Samba and SMB v1 I came across this article for how to turn SMB v1 off:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-configure-samba-to-use-smbv2-and-disable-smbv1-on-linux-or-unix/

I checked the config (fairly default config) on my system and there is no mention of the "min protocol" setting(don't know what the default is for Samba 4.2), so maybe SMB v1 is enabled, or maybe not. The only clients that access it are windows 7, and there too I really have no idea what protocol version they use to connect.

(small disclaimer linux has been my main OS of choice desktop/server for 20 years now, though I have used windows from 3.0 -> 7(client) windows, and I do manage a dozen or so windows server VMs(win2k8 and 2k12) as well, so not totally green)

Same goes for enterprise stuff, I have SMB on an EMC Isilon cluster(code is fairly current) but no idea what version of SMB it runs(a quick search shows one person wanting to disable SMB v1 on Isilon 2 years ago, and another person suggesting a specific code version that introduced the option to disable SMBv1)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon