Reply to post: Re: the YouTubers that are getting hurt

Cisco cancels all YouTube ads, then conceals cancellation

BlueTemplar

Re: the YouTubers that are getting hurt

"Maybe some of those Youtubers should try doing what BigClive does: don't rely on Youtube ads to cover costs, explain why it works better for him and his viewers if the money needed to buy coffee and cookies doesn't pass through Youtube, and hope it works out OK. Everybody here is aware of BigClive, right?

Or maybe more prospective YouTube starlets could repeat what some lowlife have achieved with the help of the Daily Mail this week: use the Daily Mail's 'news' coveragel to provide free advertising of dubious videos set in dodgy London shopping malls (and worse), thereby enabling this stuff to reach an audience that wouldn't normally even know such videos existed ("Barbara Streisand effect" gone mad)."

Exactly. I've never heard of BigClive. I *have* heard of a YouTuber disrespecting a corpse.

https://locusmag.com/2016/03/cory-doctorow-wealth-inequality-is-even-worse-in-reputation-economies/

"Whuffie [a fictional reputation-based currency] has all the problems of money, and then a bunch more that are unique to it. In Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, we see how Whuffie – despite its claims to being ‘‘meritocratic’’ – ends up pooling up around sociopathic jerks who know how to flatter, cajole, or terrorize their way to the top. Once you have a lot of Whuffie – once a lot of people hold you to be reputable – other people bend over backwards to give you opportunities to do things that make you even more reputable, putting you in a position where you can speechify, lead, drive the golden spike, and generally take credit for everything that goes well, while blaming all the screw-ups on lesser mortals."

I feel that there's many parallels to hoarding YouTube subscribers, "likes", and view-based income trough advertising...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon