Reply to post: Re: My partner hates me..

ATM fees shake-up may push Britain towards cashless society

tiggity Silver badge

Re: My partner hates me..

I'm with the no online banking people, be it app or website.

Many androids never get any security updates, vendors that do provide upgrades stop them after a while, so nearly all non rooted androids soon insecure.

Apple devices, better on security updates, but often users do not add them as they often mean an "upgrade" which can cripple performance of old phones.

PC - I CBA to check how many zero days there are each year, but plenty.

There is no such thing as a secure device, so always a small element of risk.

Given how, when "cash" goes missing due to fraudulent activity, the banks love to blame the customer rather than the crooks, then sensible option to eschghew online as, if it something crooked happens you may end up out of pocket.

Happily for me banking aps do not work on rooted phones (in catch 22 logic as the whole point of rooting is to allow yourself to do / install things that increase security!)

..No surprise I mainly use cash! (Though not a fan of the shiny new 5 and 10 notes, anyone would think they were designed to be super low friction and easily get lost to discourage cash use - have to scrunch up new ones lots to remove their slippery eel behaviour).

Mainly using cash is good, it works when things go, unexpectedly, wrong, went for a pub lunch a while ago (a place a few of us often visit) and phone line was down so they could not do cards, because I had cash I could pay for mine and (card only) friends meals & drinks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon