Reply to post:

Virgin Media admits it 'fell short' in broadband speeds ahead of lashing from BBC's Watchdog

Colabroad

Just over a year ago I took the opportunity to move to a tiny Caribbean island, population less than 100,000, and also from a fairly new build flat in Leeds with Virgin Media coax to an apartment of similar age with FTTP.

Granted I'm paying about 3 times the price for a 25Mb/s connection (about £125 after Brexit induced Moneygeddon) but that is a minimum, I regularly get speeds 10-30% higher and the connection is rock solid at all times of the day.

The box was installed by a couple of local chaps who impressively asked me to set my own SSID and password rather than leaving the default, and commented on Huddersfield Town's shockingly good performance recently, a far cry from the surly VM chap who was in and out as fast as humanly possible.

This confirms my theory that all the big UK ISPs are giving piss-poor performance to keeps costs artificially low and not even attempting anything like a solid service.

The weather is nice here too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon