Reply to post: The Virgin sales people grossly exaggerate the speed that can be delivered

Virgin Media admits it 'fell short' in broadband speeds ahead of lashing from BBC's Watchdog

Daft Quant

The Virgin sales people grossly exaggerate the speed that can be delivered

I went into my local (St Albans) Virgin shop last year and was offered a connection speed of 200 megabytes per second. I said that was unfeasibly large, and that they probably meant 200 megabits per second. The member of staff (who I later found was the manager that day) assured me I was incorrect and it was really 200 megabytes/s. I asked to see the literature and that said 200 Mb/s rather than 200 MB/s. When I explained that that confirmed it was 200 megabits/s, she said it was a printing mistake and it really was 200 megabytes/s. At this time several other colleagues of hers came round and confirmed it as 200 megabytes/s (though one did ask what the difference was between a bit and a byte).

I complained to Virgin, and they said they would train their staff better. However, this year I was stopped in the street by a Virgin salesperson and asked if I changed to Virgin I would get 200 megabytes/s.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon