Reply to post: Re: The exception that proves the rule

Tesla's Model S autonomous mode may have saved a life

ElsmarMarc

Re: The exception that proves the rule

"Remember when seatbelts became mandatory and people argued about cases where people had been saved by being flung clear from their crashed vehicles, not trapped by their seatbelts. I'll take my chances and belt up. And I'll do the same if I can ever afford an autonomous vehicle, letting it save me if it can."

And the same with airbags. GM was really against them (reason was cost, of course) and even described them as "small bombs". I'm also a pilot, though I haven't flown for a number of years. Ground proximity sensors and warnings, stall warning technology, and other technology saves lives, yet I know there are still pilots out there who complain about "fly by wire" because they have no "real" control (no mechanical linkages) to an aircraft's parts (such as flaps, rudder, engine throttle, etc., etc.). I'm with you - Give me all the IA help that I can afford. Once you pass another aircraft flying VFR going across your flight path (pedestrian walking into the road, so to speak) and miss it by maybe 20 feet, just by luck, you realise the value of radar and transponders (not to mention the ATC centers and their employees). These systems are young. They are the future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon