Reply to post: Re: PR stunt

Tesla's Model S autonomous mode may have saved a life

Dan Wilkie

Re: PR stunt

I barely scraped my motorcycle theory test because on the hazard perception part, I saw too many hazards I thought I had to react to (kids playing near the road who could run out, someone in the distance with a football etc).

The point is, any of those COULD theoretically have sprinted for the pavement and hurled themselves in front of me. But I don't need to react to it because the DVLA feels it's unlikely.

Equally my two minors many years ago for my car test were for hesitation which was essentially waiting too long at a pedestrian crossing as somebody was milling around near it.

If you're driving down the motorway, a car heading in the other direction COULD hit the central reservation, come over the top, and put you in a collision.

If you're driving down a road with no pavements and 8 foot high walls that's completely straight, somebody COULD leap over the wall straight in front of you.

The point i'm trying to make is you're supposed to temper it with common sense. You need to anticipate sensible risks, but not be completely paranoid about it. And bearing in mind how hard it is to see somebody in dark clothes in an unlit area, it would be unreasonable to drive/ride slowly enough that if there happens to be one in stealth mode, and they were to step out RIGHT in front of you, you would be able to stop. Because common sense is expected on the part of the pedestrian also.

Or do you just not drive round corners in case there's something coming the other way? Because you know, if they're doing 60, and you're doing 5 mph, then you're still not going to stop in time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon