Reply to post: Re: A broken watch tells the right time twice a day?

Apple and Android wearables: What iceberg? It’s full steam ahead!

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: A broken watch tells the right time twice a day?

what new functionality do they bring to the table, what problem do they solve?

Smartphones? Well compared with green screen multi-day batter life phones you get sat-nav, decent email clients, the internet, bus and train timetable apps, mobile banking (if you trust it), music playback, podcasts, games. Yup they're definitely worth the extra hassle of daily charging. Particularly as the batteries prefer to be kept above 50% nowadays, so even though mine easily lasts two days I charge it overnight anyway.

As for smart watches? I don't get it myself. Once you're doing something on the watch, you may as well pull the phone out, and have a bigger screen.

But then I hate the internet on my 5" phone screen. And so if I'm doing anything more than looking up an address or timetable I'll just tether the phone to my tablet, and use that.

It's horses for courses and each to their own. What works for one person, doesn't for another.

On the other hand, £400 watches that only last for a year or two before needing to be replaced seem awfully expensive. Particularly given how nice a phone you can get for under £200 now, the top-end phones are a rip-off to be avoided in my book. But if you've got a bit of money spare and fancy some techno-bling, who am I to argue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon