Reply to post: Re: Yeah, you like bacon, I like bacon, now shut up about it and bring me some sausages

US gourmets sizzle in bacon-scented underwear

NomNomNom

Re: Yeah, you like bacon, I like bacon, now shut up about it and bring me some sausages

Main problem is that sentient beings are being killed for human entertainment. That's really what bacon is - an entertainment product.

Now unless one happens to disbelieve evolution, humans are not inherently special compared to individuals of other species. We are not the only sentient beings on the planet, even though our culture ingrains in us the concept that non-humans are non-persons, their lives having no value other than to what we assign them. to dispose of for our purposes. The concept of a non-human individual valuing their own life and that being meaningful is alien to our culture.

Imagine a breed of human who are kept in cages from birth and their hair harvested to make coats. They are killed at age 2 and their meat sold to the pet food industry. But is ok because they are killed "humanely" with a quick shot to the head. Some of them are even "free range". The dog food cans have their smiling faces on, because farms are happy places and the farmer loves the children he farms.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon