Reply to post: Seriously?

AT&T, Verizon probed: 'No escape from biz broadband packages'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Seriously?

You guys act like ILECS never put any money into infrastructure. If they didn't, you wouldn't have anything faster than dialup access. DSL may sound like crap now, but when it was rolled out it was 10 to 20 times faster than anything else available in most areas and consumers begged for it. In most cases they have continued to upgrade and improve levels of service. Cable companies dump millions into upgrading old analog coax distribution networks into fiber digital network, in part so that they can compete with the ILECs. As consumers, we have benefited.

In 1995 you had to pay $20/month for a dialup account plus another $30/month for the phone line. That $50 equates to $78.07 in 2015 dollars. What does $78 dollars buy you now? I pay less than that for multi-megabit broadband access delivered over fiber. What costs me less than $70/month today would have cost me over $10,000/month 20 years ago.

When you account for inflation, the prices really haven't changed that much, but what has changed is the speeds you get for that money. THAT is where the competition has driven improvement.

Of course, customer service still sucks - but that is a given.

I challenge anyone who wants to downvote me to explain how they get the same or less speeds now for the same or less money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon