back to article Joy Division get the Playmobil treatment

It's Friday, so before heading off to the boozer for the traditional end-of-week "editorial meeting", we at the El Reg Bootnotes department thought we'd sign out by pointing our beloved readers at this entertaining miniature interpretation of Joy Division's Transmission ... Suffice it to say, inspired by this piece of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jedit Silver badge
    Headmaster

Wrong band

"Dance, dance, dance to the radio" is a lyric from Bowie's "Let's Dance", not Joy Division.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      WTF?

@Jedit

What did you smoke?!

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Wrong band

Presumably, then, Bowie should get a lawyer and a Ouija board for some otherworldly litigation, cos Ian Curtis evidently ripped the Thin White Duke off, and no messing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Taxi for Mr Jedit...

Get your coat, you clueless muppet.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Taxi for Mr Jedit...

You're all idiots. Clearly the correct answer is 'Radio Gaga', by Lady Gaga.

4. johnnytruant
      FAIL

Jedit's google must be broken

"Let's dance, to the song they're playin' on the radio" - Bowie, Let's Dance

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio" - Joy Division, Transmission

5. Dave Murray
      Happy

Ha Ha!

You could at least have watched the clip, then you wouldn't have made yourself look like such a tool.

Great clip. Well done those playmobil artistes!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

David Bowie?

No. Just no. Stoppit!

7. Cazzo Enorme

Peers over top of spectacles

Joy Division - Transmission

Released 1979

David Bowie - Let's Dance

Released 1983

Jedit? You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

8. Some Beggar
      FAIL

Bandwagon.

Just logging in to point and laugh at the muppet along with everybody else.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously not live

The guitars weren't plugged in

1. Scu
      Thumb Down

of course they weren't plugged in

wireless instrument connections were all the rage in '79, oi!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

@Scu

I knew there'd be one. You've still got to plug in a wireless transmitter you dufus...

1. Joe Flynn
          Thumb Down

Well...

Unless, of course, the transmitter was concealed in the body of the instrument, wired to the output internally.

3. YumDogfood

Never mind, its Friday.

+1 GothPoint for this.

4. Paul Johnston
    Thumb Up

Magic!

What next then?

1. MnM
      Go

What next?

How about the David Bowie ballad Enter Sandman, performed in the house style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM

5. Gianni Straniero
    Go

Manic drummer

Love the manic Stephen Morris.

1. Darryl
      Thumb Up

This ^^

Stephen Morris was definitely the best part

6. Willington
    Thumb Up

Anticipation

I spent most of the song wondering how a Playmobil character who by design can't bend his arms was going to manage Ian Curtis' dance. All things considered, he didn't do at all bad.

7. cosymart
    Thumb Up

Utterly Brilliant!

Seriously impressive.

8. Sabine Miehlbradt
    Go

Request

KISS - God of Thunder

9. John Smith 23

wow

Bernhard Sumner looks weird and eerily realistic

10. Stratman
    Thumb Up

title

Splendid stuff.

Lookin' forward to Firestarter.

11. EL Vark

Hang on...

Hooky's slapping a six-string fretless playmobass? Nearly ruined the illusion for me. Still, Tony Wilson would've loved this, RIP.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Hang on...

Hooky did make use of a six string Shergold bass for the late Joy Division / early New Order periods. Not for Transmission though.

12. Geoffrey W

the scariest thing

was the constant smile on Ian Curtis' face, though I did hear him laugh...once...kinda...

13. lostjohnny

Pedant alert

That bass has got too many strings.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing Ian Curtis (or indeed the rest of Joy Division) smiling.

Other that that: brilliant (oh, and can I laugh at Jedit too?)

14. Morpho Devilpepper
    Happy

EPIC!!!

This can only be surpassed by a Playmobil version of Christian Death performing "Spiritual Cramp."

I now have this odd urge to build statues of Joy Division's members in MineCraft. Good thing they now have multiple shades of black/grey wool...I'll be needing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re EPIC!!!

Hmm, good call on the CD track (although Cavity would be even cooler), but I don't think Playmobil stretch to a Rozz Williams style hairdo!

15. Furbian
    Thumb Up

Spectacularly funny!

Had me in stitches! The smiles would have been even more out of place on 'Shadowplay'. Shame Playmobile figures have fixed legs that meant that the late Mr. Curtis's leg movements weren't quite captured as well as they could have been ....

16. Ojustaboo

Here's a good cover version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mm6ycEz2A8

17. Astarte

Missed point

Interesting how so many experts can jump on the content for criticism and so few applaud or even acknowledge the effort put in to making this work of art for our delectation. It must have taken ages - good camera work, choreography, editing and direction. How many rehearsals there must have been.

Congratulations to all involved - Encore, encore.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Shouldn't that read

edjit

19. Peter Murphy
    Thumb Up

Superb!

I love how the animators Playmobil Joy Division AND the TV crew filming them in 1979. It's the little details that count.

May there be more Manchester musical minature manipulations... like the Smiths. Or the Happy Mondays, with Bez naturally doing his dancing on stage. That's one guy with a face made for the Playmobil smile!

20. Dave 62
    Heart

I LOVE YOU

I F**KING LOVE YOU!!!

This just made my day.

{that aside.. jedit.. trolling or something? No one is that stupid and everyone knows this song! Although I bet "dance to the radio" is a pretty common line! Oh! I've! Come! Over! All! Yahoo!)

This topic is closed for new posts.