back to article Courtney Love in court over 'Boudoir Queen' Twitter bitchfight

Courtney Love's Twitter broadsides against a fashion designer have earned her a date in a Los Angeles court, Reuters reports. The target of the Hole singer's wrath was Dawn Simorangkir, aka the "Boudoir Queen", who had the temerity to "demand payment for a few thousand dollars worth of clothes". Love was evidently unimpressed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opinions deserve latitude?

If someone wrote that about me in an op-ed piece, I'd take them to court as well. Having an opinion is one thing, but voicing it to just shy of 90,000 people means you should pick your words carefully.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Joke

If Courtney Love wrote about me like that

I simply tweet to all whether you can regard anything that crazy b*tch says is true (IMHO, allegedly etc)

2. thecakeis(not)alie

Really?

Have you read what some of the commenters here on The Register say about eachother? Or about the authors? Would comments on here be worthy of a defamation suit as well? What about reprinting those comments in a "stupidest comments of the year" article? What about pointing out someone's comment in an article and laughing at it?

If these are not opinions which are immune from defamation, then you've just ENDED THE INTERNET.

Obligatory XKCD: http://xkcd.com/810/

2. Jimbo 6
    Paris Hilton

When oh when oh when...

...will people learn to preface anything potentially libellous with "IMHO" ?

E.g.

"IMHO, X is a a drug-pushing prostitute"

or

"IMHO, Y is a drugged-up loser who is only really famous for having a dead husband and is so far up her own backside it's a wonder she hasn't ruptured the space-time continuum yet"

See how I averted having an expensive lawsuit slapped on *me* ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Simorangkir's attorney

"...Simorangkir's attorney Bryan Freedman"

Being represented by a world renowned dancer/choreographer?

Whatever next? Julian Assange being defended by Bonnie Langford? ;0)

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Simorangkir's attorney

It's funny because some people have the same names as other people with different jobs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Simorangkir's attorney

Thanks for the clarification, otherwise I wouldn't have known, what with my inate ability to not see the smileys.

2. Anonymous John

AAMOI

How many Sarah Bees are there?

Re: AAMOI

Only five, actually.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Black Helicopters

Five?

All of them must be Dummy Plugs.

Normal humans would go insane in here.

1. Captain DaFt
              WTF?

What?

There's normal people in here? Whew! Must suck to be them!

(The closest I've ever came to "normal" was being "normally not noted as being normal"!)

2. Spartacus

Five in the Hive.

Wow the collapse in Bee colonies really is getting serious. somethign must be done.

I demand a new Hive for the Queen...

1. thecakeis(not)alie

Sarah Bee

She am the hive mind.

4. James 5
    Unhappy

40,000 sads..

"Love was evidently unimpressed with the claim, and on 17 March 2009 entertained her 40,000 Twitter followers "

40,000 of the sad wee beggers! Is it possible to have a group Darwin award?

Re: 40,000 sads..

How would that work, exactly?

1. Jelliphiish
        Thumb Up

a waste

of a good edge on them claws Oh Mistress HunniBee

2. Justin Clements

uhoh...

you've just smoked a Courtney Love fan out....

3. Elmer Phud

Who are you calling a C #@*

I guess there are already group Darwin Award contenders -- they all belong (sadly) to the collection of odd cults who beleive that mass poisoning and the like is the best way to god's right hand. It doesn't really do much for continuing that particular line of faith.

Though in the case of Twitterers they can't really be lumped together as a bunch of saddoes as some will be eagerly awaiting the next outburst and trying to work out the legal value of it.

5. Squirrel
    Pint

and not an airport bomb joke involved.

I thought the world already took seriously what people say on twitter? or is that just the UK?

Personally I think Ms Love needs to start saving her pennies as I don't see anything but unlawful harassment and libel.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they be televising it?

Or is Judge Judy up to her neck in talentless harridans as it is.

7. Adrian Challinor
    Joke

Of course its libel

"...the pair will battle it out in court in a case likely to hinge on the First Amendment, and "whether an average Twitter user would interpret Love's vicious tweets as facts rather than merely her opinion".....

We already have UK court action to prove that tweeting makes you a terrorist.

I am spartacus.

1. Spartacus

No your not

I am.

1. thecakeis(not)alie

@Spartacus

Well played.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Mister

Lets hope that the courts are a little bit more sesible than those over here.

AC because one day I might accidentally threaten to blow up Doncasters shitty airport, actually it might improve the place.

9. Spasticus

No

I'm Spasticus

10. Dante Alighieri
    Grenade

I call....

shenanigans for when the court order to disclose AC's IP is sent.

11. jake Silver badge

So instead of rapier and dagger ...

It's purse & checkbook at dawn?

Regardless, both of the useless idiots need to get over themselves ... The only winners will be their lawyers.

12. jason 7
    Stop

Hmmm folks never learn....

Your phone rings.

You pick it up and its Courtney Love on the other end, wanting to enter into a business deal with you.

Do you -

A. Hang up.

B. Take the call and enter gamely into the situation knowing the potential clusterfuke it will probably be.

I'd take A.

1. Chatelaine

You forgot Option C

Jason 7, there's also the option to:

C. Take the call, hear the details of the CF you absolutely *know* it will be, and THEN hang up :-)

13. Tom 13

Hmmm.....

I'd say both tweets were opinions, and until one side or the other provides proof of their claim, both were defamatory. In Vegas, I'd put money on Love being the loser.

But then again, I don't twitter.

14. Kevin 43
    Grenade

Allegations

"a drug-pushing prostitute with a history of assault and battery who lost custody of her own child and capitalized on Love's fame before stealing from..."

Change "Love" to "Cobain" and it becomes her own biography does it not? In my opinion etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like