back to article Apple to give away iPhone tracking tech

Apple is to open its Find My iPhone tracking tech to certain iDevice owners who aren't Mobile Me subscribers. The news was made public as the company gears up to release iOS 4.2.1, which it said will go live later today. The Find My... facility has to date been part of the Mobile Me, Apple's £59-a-year email and device data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Maikel

Apple to give away iPhone tracking tech

Of course, that's as useful as tits on a bull if you only have one of these iDevices, so we hope Apple will also make the service accessible through the web, as MobileMe is.

How about to use the iPhone simulator??

1. ThomH

Nope, sorry

The simulator can't download applications.

2. Roger Varley

Prize

for the first person to hear "HE'S ON THE TRAIN" in the wild.

3. Joe Montana
    Flame

Third party..

Surely there must be a third party application to do this...

My iphone polls my mail server every few minutes anyway, it shouldnt be too hard to make it send my location over an SSL connection to my server, so that third parties don't have any more access to my location than they already do...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

You only need an iPhone 4, iPad or 4rd gen iPod touch to setup an AppleID to use Find My iPhone (if you don't already have an Apple ID).

Once you have an Apple ID, you can use Find my iPhone on any device running iOS 4.2.

See the small print at: http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

3G, 3GS etc

So... what's their excuse for needing the latest version? Is there some fundamental piece of hardware not present in the earlier models? A powerful A4 chip required? No? Thought not. I'd have bought one by now if it wasn't for the arrogance displayed around the launch of v4.

Look forward to next headline "'Find my iPhone' defeated by holding lower left corner"

6. Mark Broadhurst
    WTF?

and Hacked in 3...2...1...

If it ever does get hacked you could brick the whole worlds iPhone.

Extra Kudos if they hack it from an andriod phone.

7. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Excellent

Now hopefully Google will decide to allow remote locking/tracking of Android handsets for consumers, not just business users, in Android and I can remove WaveSecure (which I got free, but refuse to recommend as I think the subscription is extortionate for what it is).

8. Steve Brammer
    Thumb Up

Playing catch up

Playing catch up with Android in general and HTC in particular (with the Find My iPhone function), but competition is good for everyone.

So bravo Apple and bravo HTC!

9. colin79666
    FAIL

Story is factually incorrect.

"Anyone who owns an iPhone 4, iPad or fourth-generation iPod Touch can now make use of the service by downloading a free app to a second iDevice, Apple said.

"Of course, that's as useful as tits on a bull if you only have one of these iDevices, so we hope Apple will also make the service accessible through the web, as MobileMe is."

It IS accessible at the me.com website. You have to signup on the iPhone 4/iPad/iPod Touch but after that you can track the device on the website for free.

10. stucs201
    Joke

What would be more useful

is a more inteligent and accurate location, e.g: "Down the back of the sofa", "Left in car", etc.

11. pan2008
    Go

good to see some competition

It works for free on my windows phone 7, already tried and tested hope will never need it. Good to see what competition brings to apple.

12. Stu
    Jobs Halo

works on the iPhone 3GS AND on the website

Just tested this on my iDevices. You activate your non-me.com account via the Find My iPhone app. Accessing the app I successfuly located my iPad AND iPhone 3GS with 4.2.1, despite claiming only to work on iPhone 4. Very nice!

Quote - Of course, that's as useful as tits on a bull if you only have one of these iDevices, so we hope Apple will also make the service accessible through the web, as MobileMe is.

You can actually log into www.me.com with your iTunes login and can track your devices (both iPhone and iPad in my case) on the website, no iDevices needed. Fully tested. Very nice again!

A very rare halo Steve Jobs icon presented!

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"....Apple's universal wireless printing tech..."

Is that "universal" in the same way that telco data plans are "unlimited"?

I.e. "universal" for a given universe, which may contain rather less than any other universes you may have previously experienced.

1. Tom Chiverton 1
      FAIL

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

The sensible thing would be a IPP client, so any Samba/CUPS server in the world would work with it out the box. Shall we take bets :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like