back to article Mac OS X haunted by ghost of Jailbreakme bug

Older versions of Mac OS X are susceptible to a variation of the critical Jailbreakme vulnerability, which left Macs and Apple iDevices wide open to malware attacks, a security firm has warned. According to Core Security, Apple has known about the bug in OS 10.5, aka Leopard, for two and a half months, but still hasn't fixed it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MyHeadIsSpinning

dev team

The dev team provided a patch for the pdf vuln, without reversing the jailbroken status of an unlocked iphone. The patch was demonstrated as working when the user was directed to the jailbreakme web page to find they could no longer follow the same installation process they had before. Apple could have done this, but they also took the opportunity to kill the jailbreak as well, because they don't like people having unlocked iphones.

2. ratfox
    WTF?

Viruses in Apple

I recently had my MacBook Pro repaired under warranty (hardware problems exclusively). It came back with Symantec Antivirus installed! Who would've thunk it?

By curiosity, I looked at virus definitions:

- 12 Hypercard Viruses

- 34 Macinotsh File Infectors

- 19 Macintosh Trojan Horses

- 2 Macintosh Worms

follow ~6'000 Macro Viruses essentially affecting Microsoft Office software, and ~30'000 PC Viruses.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Low count for a few reasons

One thing is for sure, if Apple did what many want them to do (release OSX for generic x86 PCs) the virus rate would shoot up as many more people would have access to the OS and the user base would be bigger.

Sure, you can run a hackintosh build, but it requires effort to build a PC which has similar components to a real Mac.

The high bar of entry to the Mac world (the price) does keep out a lot of riff raff. Not to mention a virus author would need a while to get the hang of the different programming APIs.

3. Jean-Paul

So you can get hacked when you want to hack your device

Now there is something novel ;-) A bit like that nasty doing the rounds in the iWork version on the Warez sites ;-) Or Rick Ashley appearing when you hacked your iPhone. Ah well play with fire and you can get burned.

4. lucmars

Does Apple want really to fix ppc plateform ?

After all the situation looks like a bit à la Microsoft: bin your ppc Mac, buy an Intel Mac, that's fixed.

That's the downside of the integration, it's not just the software to upgrade, the hardware too.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Hypercard?

"12 Hypercard Viruses"

Good ol' Symantec, protecting us from things that can't even run anymore - or am I wrong about Hypercard being long dead? (I thought it was a Classic-only app?) Aside from anti-Typhoid-Mary purposes... Corrections and further enlightment welcome, as needed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like