back to article iTunes App Store sprouts 'Hall of Fame'

Apple has added a new section to its iOS-centric iTunes App Store: a Hall of Fame. Exactly how apps are selected for inclusion in the HoF hasn't been made clear, though MacStories got their hands on an Apple promo for the new section which says: "More than two years since launch, we're many apps wiser. Presenting the very best …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Given
    Badgers

Fart apps

There should be an app that tells you how many fart apps there are. And which makes the appropriate noise when a new one gets added.

2. thecakeis(not)alie

Forget fart apps

I just downloaded Angry Birds onto my Desire and it's EATING MY SOUL. Can't.....stop.....playing....

1. ThomH

It would be interesting to know...

... whether Angry Birds produces more average revenue per user on Android (where it's free but includes adverts, albeit very unobtrusively) or iOS (59p, no adverts).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

So it's now official

The app store is a dump. You need somebody to pick up the useful bits from the garbage.

4. Dez Scotland
    WTF?

There's lies, damn lies and then there's App Store ratings!

If the hall of fame is anything like the way Apple rates apps in the app-store in general then it will contain susprises that nobody can fathom...

... e.g. 'Phone Tracker Spy Pro' is on #13 in the 'Top-25' app-store apps (was #10 at the end of last week). This presumably is due to the large number of downloads of this (non-free) app?

However, the * rating is currently 3 out of 5 (was 4.5 out of 5 last week). This is totally misleading as almost all of the 1000+ user ratings give the app one or zero stars and all are contain negative comments about a fake/joke app this is mis-sold as the app description ends "It works - Guaranteed!" - and nowhere does it admit to being a fake/joke app.

Apple appears happy to take their share of the £0.59 purchase cost everytime some (dumb/trusting) user downloads this horrendous app.

So how does Apple's Top-25 and * star rating work? I suspect an app is awarded the max 5 stars for every download, and this is only reduced if the purchases chooses to rate it afterwards. VERY MISLEADING. Naughty Apple!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like