back to article Carphone Warehouse slashes Samsung Galaxy Tab price

Carphone Warehouse has updated its Samsung Galaxy Tab sales page with a price: £530 without a data contract, or £500 if you take out a tenner-a-month data deal with Talk Mobile. Carphone Warehouse's Galaxy Tab offer That's certainly less than the £600 Amazon.co.uk wants - marked down from an £800 RRP, the site states - for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colin Hillier
    FAIL

So, let's see...

It's the same price as the equivalent iPad but with a smaller screen? And less apps...

What was its USP again?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

USP?

Lack of an Apple badge, i think.

2. Karnka
      Jobs Horns

title

USP = It's not an iPad

(let the flaming etc begin)

3. Gary F

Galaxy Tab USPs over the iPad...

Extra storage up to 32GB via microSD slot, 3.2MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera, use as mobile phone, Bluetooth 3.0, full Adobe Flash support, almost half the weight (0.84 lbs), has USB port, output to TV, (and it runs Android).

Technically it offers a lot more than the ipad. Whether you can download 20 thousand or 20 billion apps is irrelevant. Just check that apps are available for what YOU want to use your pad/tab for and make your decision based on that along with the hardware itself.

Now that Adobe have released the Andoid SDK for AIR there will be 1000's of new Android apps coming out as it's so easy to build apps using Air and Air is cross-platform compatible with PCs and Macs alike. (But not iphone because of obvious Apple hatred of Flash)

2. James Cooke
    Joke

surprised?

That Samsung don't want to be first in the race to the bottom that the tablet market is about to have?

There's plenty of demand so why shouldn't they take advantage of it while they can that's the spirit of capitalism after all.

3. Tom 38

Seems quite pricey

Guy at work is planning on getting Witstech A81E tablet from Hong Kong. Android 2.2, 7" screen, yadda yadda, £150.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

there oook

physical case feels like its going to crack, all the corners have and amount of bend in them - hardwired ethernet dongle is amazing, i hope other android devices 'port' it over.

4. Ogglekid
    Alert

everything to everyone everywhere

Tagline of: everything to everyone everywhere

quite close to the T-mobile/orange new name!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not

The 16G Wifi & 3G iPad is £529.

Smaller screen but more storage potential (micro SD) . Some people prefer the smaller form factor.

6. Neill Mitchell

Well...

Samsung Mobile Strategist:

"Well we can't sell it for less than a Galaxy S - it's got a bigger screen."

Samsung Sales:

"Oh bugger."

Potential Samsung Customers:

"Forget it."

Oh what a mess the mobile vendors have got themselves into with the "subsidised" handset pricing model. Gadgets like this should sell for £300.

7. Paul Hates Handles

I thought the point...

...was to be half the price of the iPap?

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

wtf

Why the hell is this thing so expensive? It's running an OS for low power devices so isn't going to be as powerful as a standard laptop and a mobile phone radio must only be a few quid these days (after all you can buy a pay-as-you-go phone for 50quid or so).

The laptop I'm using has a 17 inch screen and a core 2 duo processor - and that only cost 600 quid.

We all know that Apple charge what they do because they *can* - not because the hardware's worth it so I can't see Samsung shifting many of these at the same price...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slash and Burn

Don't worry Droid Fans, it will be on clearance at Morgans soon enough

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's lovely, but...

I've had a play with a hardware testing model and its a lovely piece of kit, much more useful in size than an iPad (its *just* pocketable), and the screen is excellent. I could actually see myself reading and using it for video every day, but 500 quid? I'd find that pretty much impossible to justify for a (admittedly good) PMP.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Form factor and weight

The iPad doesn't look comfortable to hold and use one handed and is bigger than I would prefer. For me 7" with good resolution screen is the right size for a consumer tablet for casual web browsing while on the sofa. The iPad also seems too heavy for comfort over long periods if not propped on something, this is much lighter.

I still think its expensive but more tempting to me than the current iPad. I don't need the 3G, just Wifi will do, so I think I'll wait for something that fits the bill. I use an iPhone for mobile browsing but the bigger screen would be nice when I don't have to carry it.

Regarding laptop comparisons I don't know what the cost of a quality touchscreen is but its not an area that should be skimped on. I hate anything with those old shove it three times because it doesn't respond.

1. riCh chestMat

Doesn't LOOK comfortable?

Why not try holding one for yourself?

Meanwhile I have to say that the iPad screen is just right for casual web browsing with regards to size. Anything smaller and you'll spend a lot of time zooming in and out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

doesn't look comfortable ??

Ever thought about applying to Microsoft as a usability tester?

12. Paul
    Grenade

will wait for reviews and comparison with dell streak

thing is, it's a samsung... who aren't noted for the longevity of the *support* of their products. that is to say, will there be a newer model in 6 months time with samsung losing interest in this one?

it still irks me that Dell did a deal with O2 for the streak, only arguably the worst provider of 3G services in the UK...and the streak is also overpriced.

I think I will ride out early adopter price premiums and see what happens.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Android tablets

You'd be mad to buy one before Android 3.0 Gingerbread arrives in the New Year. LG are holding back their tablet until then which makes perfect sense.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like