back to article Ranting Ohio Republican scares interwebs

Ohio councilman Phil Davison made an unsuccessful pitch to become his local Republican Party's nominee to run for Stark County treasurer on Wednesday, in the process scaring the living daylights out of the interwebs. Davison has, since appearing before the party's executive committee, become a bit of a net celeb for his " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Huffington Post........

The Huffington Post reporting on a Republican is to FOX News reporting on a Democrat.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Huffington Post........

Yeah, but come on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

But only one of them

But only one of them could be described as 'fair and balanced - and its initials aren't 'F' & 'N'.

1. Captain Save-a-ho
        Megaphone

Re: But only one of them

With (mostly) all apologies to El Reg, media outlets aren't "fair and balanced", not more than any other field. Even scientific pursuits are tainted by politics (and not just Global Climate Change, or whatever it's called now).

Frankly, I was more shocked that the guy is still living...there's a heart attack waiting to happen. Lay off the McDonald's and Starbucks, buddy.

Bullhorn, obviously...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

text

So you obviously read the outrageous bias in the Huffington Post.

With blatant bigotry they say he made a 'fiery' speech, his presentation was 'impassioned' and go on to say that he 'made a lasting impression'.

Have these filthy pinkoes no shame?

</sarcasm>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alert

You there! Stop right now!

Quit thinking and go give your paycheque to the nearest rich person. Don't ask questions; just do as you are told.

Filthy liberals and your filthy "thinking." Your “thinking” is slowing down the speed of greed and reducing the efficiency of public impoverishment programs. If you persist in this “thinking” how then can money be properly hoarded by the already ludicrously wealthy?

Egads, if you continue with this heathen blasphemy then that money might actually be reinvested into the economy! If it isn’t removed from the system and hoarded right away then who knows what might happen?

Cease and desist at once.

4. Rob Dobs

Being the oponent of a liar does not by default make you a liar as well

I can think of sooo many examples of FOX news lying to their viewers that I don't feel the need to do your research for you, but I will. Sean Nannity has flagrantly used video footage of larger demonstrations from other events as false examples of attendance at various protests/events.

They got caught doing this TWICE! That doesn't even go into the statistics and news that are inaccurate or known to be factually wrong that they report on on a regular basis

I challenge you to find a piece of reporting that Huffington post has done, that was later discredited or proven to be factually wrong. (And don't be petty, every news organization mixes up a name, or reports a lead as a rumor that turns out not to be true on occasion, people make honest mistakes, I'm talking actual provable lies here).

Yes the Huffington Post can be classified as a liberal leaning news source, but I have not every heard them (with any factual backup) accused of falsely reporting the facts of the news. THAT IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM FOX!

Okay, I did the work for you.. just Googled "Fox News biggest lies" and came up with this article from GUESS WHO?! the Huffington Post! called "The Ten Most Eregious Fox News Distortions." And these are just the ones they thought made the top 10, there are MANY MANY more examples. They even show you the Fox news footage of Fox reporters lying through their own teeth, so you can see it for yourself, and not just take the Huffington posts word for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/20/the-ten-most-egregious-fo_n_327140.html

5. Rob Dobs

In case you are too lazy

Here are the summaries of the top 10 fox news lies: Though I strongly encourage you to go see the video of FOX arsholes saying the lies themselves.

1.) Bill Hemmer reported that Department of Education official Kevin Jennings knew of a "statutory rape" case involving a 15-year-old student but "never reported it." In fact, the student was above the age of consent.

2.) In March, Fox News's Martha MacCallum presented a clip of Vice President Joe Biden saying "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" -- and presented it as from an interview that weekend. In fact, the clip came from a 2008 campaign event at which Biden was quoting Sen. John McCain.

3.) In April, Fox News's Wendell Goler reported on an Obama question-and-answer session that was cut short to make it seem as if the president wanted a health care system "like the European countries." In fact, he was just restating a question -- he went on to say that he opposed such a system.

4.) In April, Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly described a "problematic" remark by Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor as "reverse racism" and said it sounded like she thought "that Latina judges are obviously better than white male judges."

5.) In May, Fox News's Jon Scott said the network had decided to look back on how the stimulus "grew, and grew, and grew." In fact, the entire report came from a Senate Republican Communications Center press release, complete with typo.

6.) In October, Fox News's Trace Gallagher and Bill Sammon claimed that Senate Democrats would like provisions of the PATRIOT Act that helped catch a suspected terrorist to "go bye-bye." It was a total distortion of both the proposed changes and the terror case.

7.) Wallace had a former Bush administration aide Jim Towey as a guest on "Fox News Sunday" in August and together they pushed numerous falsehoods about a Veterans Affairs administration pamphlet on end-of-life issues.

8.) On the news show "America's Pulse," E.D. Hill described Barack and Michelle Obama's fist bump at a campaign event last summer as a "terrorist fist jab." She later apologized and claimed that was how it had been "characterized in the media."

9.) In a segment on Obama's budget in April, the network claimed it was four times bigger than President Bush's costliest plan. That simply isn't true.

10.) Fox News reporters constantly promoted the Tea Party movement and also lied about coverage of the September Tea Party march on Washington in an ad. The network completely ignored an equally large gay-rights march in October.

Though some of their many more i think are worse than some of the top 10:

America's Newsroom pushes discredited GOP calculation of Obama's cap-and-trade proposal. On April 2, guest host Alisyn Camerota asserted that the cost of Obama's cap-and-trade proposal "would be $3,100 per U.S. household." The claim was advanced by the House Republican Conference in a March 23 "Talking Points" press release, and the Republicans reportedly purported to back up the claim by pointing to a 2007 study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). But MIT professor John Reilly, one of the authors of the study, has disputed the GOP's calculation, stating that his study "has been misrepresented" and that the Republicans' claim of an average household cost of $3,128 is "nearly 10 times the correct estimate" based on his study's cap-and-trade model. PolitiFact.com rated the $3,100 figure a "pants on fire" falsehood.

Happening Now crops clips of Obama to promote "another apology tour." On June 2, Scott asked if "the president's upcoming trip [to Europe and the Middle East will] be what conservatives might call another apology tour," and both Scott and co-host Jane Skinner aired cropped clips of Obama's remarks from an April 3 speech in France to falsely suggest that Obama only criticized the United States. In doing so, Happening Now joined conservative commentators and Fox News hosts who have cropped or misrepresented Obama's overseas remarks to falsely suggest, in the words of host Sean Hannity, that Obama was "blam[ing] America first" and, more broadly, that Obama's earlier overseas trip constituted an "apology tour."

1. Big-nosed Pengie

They don't call it "Faux News"

for nothing.

2. Citizen Kaned

nutter.....

anyone else think he sounds like bill murray???? :)

1. cybersaur 1
      Coat

Re: nutter...

He sounds like Chris Farley - motivational speaker.

1. Les Matthew

@cybersaur 1

"motivational speaker"

Definitely, I was motivated to stop watching after one minute and forty five seconds.

2. TeaLeaf
      Gates Halo

Nutter.....

I think more Steve Ballmer in tone than Bill Murray, but in voice, yeah.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

er

He reminds me more of the Precious Roy segments from Sifl & Olly.

3. Shades
    Boffin

fruit...

...cake!

4. Stefing
    Coat

Phil Davison makes Don Draper cry

http://twitpic.com/2mz08h

5. hmmm

1 minute mark

and a masters degree in......COMMUNICATION!!!!

Beautifully done sir.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

He needs to drink more decaf.

Cutting out sugar might help as well.

Hey, you forgot your straight-jacket.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Is his degree in communication from Beck University?

Also I think his voice broke @ 2:20

1. Elmer Phud

3:30 ish

"Infest --- asian"

choice

The audience needs listening to carefully - there is a fair bit of tittering and the applause at the end seems like that of relief it's all over.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This just screams for some context.

This guy really just sounds like someone called him a left-wing tree-hugging gun-hating money-wasting pansy or something. But he nicely emphasizes the point that politics amounts to little more than playground name-calling and popularity contests.

1. Bill B
      Thumb Up

"Are you, or have you ever been, ...

a member of the democratic party?"

I agree about the context. I think someone has either asked him the above question or accused him of reading the Huffington Post.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He needs to learn his script

Because every time he walks away from the lectern he seems to be pulled back by invisible bungee cord.

10. Tom 35

masters degree in communication

Must have bought it from one of the spams offering "degrees" to all.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Unbeatable!

The Dream Ticket, 2012

Palin & Davison in the White House.

12. as2003

and...

a meme is born

13. blackworx
    Alert

Eek!

Run away!

14. lotus49
    Alert

Cocaine

I used to have a friend who took too much cocaine (I know any is probably too much but for a while, he really took too much).

When heavily under the influence of Charlie, he would pace backwards and forward and rant, very much like Mr Davison. I am sure that no respectable Republican would take illegal drugs, but, having watched this video, I wonder just how respectable Mr Davison is.

I would not like to meet this man down a dark alley...

1. Marco van de Voort

Cocaine

Cocaine was my very first guess too.

I never witnessed cocaine user's behaviour personally, but I did once witnessed sb who had a bit too much cafeine(*), and the symptoms were similar

(*) no they didn't switch decaf on him. He had some "smart" mints where each mint equated 3 cups of coffee worth of cafeine. He ate several boxes, and couldn't talk coherent anymore. It passed, and to my best knowledge he had no lasting effects.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Cocaine

Generally the people who act the most like they're on drugs are on no drugs at all. They're just genuinely demented. Bless 'em.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's been watching The Office ...

See Season 2, Episode 17: Dwight's Speech

It's a classic and shows how relevant Mussolini is to the Republicans these days! 8-)

Personally I think this bloke is on some form of chemical/medication, or if not, needs to be.

16. Matthew Barker

Hmmm...

Looks like he has a novel way of overcoming his nervousness in public speaking.

17. gimbal
    FAIL

He speaks like a man possessed by the spirit of rhetoric

...or the spirit of something, at least. Perhaps he may have also been a man having had way too many energy drinks, that day.

I'm afraid, though, that it may be just another example of the grandiose modern political drama, recently being played out here, on every corner, in the States.

For one thing, we can thank the likes of Fox News for amping every neoconservative's pulse about things,. recently - to analogous results, I'm quite sure.

Hey, let's just forget about it and sing (to the tune of, "The Love Boat" theme song): The Faaaail Booooat soon will be making another run / The Faaaail Booooat ... promises something *special* for everyone ... set a course for adventure, your mind on a new world order.....

Hey, maybe the rock band Ministry will be able to make some sense out of such political spectacles, in due time. I think, myself, that it's just some more horrible melodrama, honestly.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yikes!

And I thought that Pelosi was scary!

19. tom 24
    Thumb Up

Epic Rant

From now on, when I read a FOTW, I will imagine this man reading it.

20. captain_solo
    Go

Not Bill Murray - Chris Farley as Matt Foley

If you check out Matt Foley on youtube, you will see that he is clearly channeling Chris Farley's famous Motivational Speaker character on SNL - if he wasn't trying to sound like him intentionally, then he might be as crazy as you think. If Foley was his inspiration, then this speech is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Hey, maybe he knew he was going to lose and decided to go out with a bang! His voice even breaks, all he needed to do was the belt adjustment and crash the podium when he was done

"My name is Matt Foley, I am 35, I am divorced, and I live in a van down by the river!"

21. Saganhill
    FAIL

why

Why is he so pissed off?

22. 1riot1ranger

Stark Raving Mad

Fitting for Stark County

23. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

Someone please give this vid the "downfall" treatment?

Mein gott in himmel

Just think, this guy probably owns guns as well.

24. rahul
    Megaphone

Am I the only one...

... who felt a bit dizzy watching him walk away and back to the lectern, again and again? I couldn't get past the 32 second point.

Rather like watching a Wimbledon match at a mini-court...

25. OMGROFLSKATES
    Gates Halo

Steve Balmer

Does it better by screaming for people to get up and praising developers.

Bill Gates because he's an angel compared to the Jock running the place now, at least he had a vision that wasn't blurred by beer goggles.

26. mafoo

Reminds me...

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

27. Jonjonz
    Linux

What a Loser!

Talk about bad judgment...

28. Grifter

Wow

Maybe he meant a masters degree in wrestlemania communication maybe?

29. Peter 6
    Heart

Poor chap.

The guy just looks absolutely terrified. I'd have calmed him down and given him a nice cup of tea.

Who needs a hug.

30. Lukin Brewer
    FAIL

Republican on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

It will be interesting to see if any other examples of his public speaking surface, but it looked like inexperience, stage fright or possibly prescription drugs. He came over more shrill than scary, and sounded like he was on the verge of tears. His perambulations around the stage suggested a full bladder or, more likely, adrenaline jitters. I'm trying to think of a less-polished public delivery that I have witnessed, and am having difficulty: student union candidates, nutters at Speakers Corner, market vendors and people ejected from licenced premises can all usually put themselves across in a more convincing manner than Mr. Davison did here.

31. Aussie Brusader
    Megaphone

Finally

I get to use this icon.

That guy needs really needs to learn how COMMUNICATE more effectively. When you're SHOUTING, it usually means that your audience is now just there for the food/drinks after the show...

Oh, and I'm really glad I wasn't there; even stopped watching it after ~10 seconds.

32. transientcylon
    Thumb Up

That guy...

Needs to do another line, it would totally help calm him down!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

NBC should...

... get this guy to do "Live from New York, it's Saturday NIIIIIGHT..."

This topic is closed for new posts.