back to article Nokia names N8 release date, pricing

Nokia's N8 smartphone will go on sale at the end of this month priced at £429 for the SIM-free version, the Finnish phone giant said today. The Pamela Anderson-promoted handset will arrive in the "last week of September" - presumably Monday the 27th - at Nokia's online store, before appearing on carriers and retailers websites …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PaulR79
    FAIL

Decent specs, same overly painful OS behind

I really don't know why they bothered with this thing given the incredible amount of time it's taken to get it ready. It will still be Symbian S60 in use with a perhaps usable touch overlay that attempts to hide it and this is the phone they're hoping will help put them back in the game? Will the phone be able to upgrade to Symbian ^4 when that eventually becomes available?

The problems with Symbian have been mentioned plenty of places before, the main ones revolving around horrible menus full of menus and sub-menus in a way that had me still having to hunt around for a specific option after owning an N95 for two years (backup phone at that point). Would it really have killed Nokia to make it Android? It isnt an admission that their OS solution is bad, it's an admission that it isn't good enough to get the potential out of the phone at that time.

I could be proven wrong but I don't see this as being the phone that pulls them back, it may give them time to pull themselves back which is how I see it being aimed but I won't be one to get a hobbled phone that effectively pays them for failing to do anything to improve S60 for years. Android is the way I'm headed for a while and I wonder how many other people will never look at Nokia phones the same way again.

1. Yorkshirepudding
      Boffin

agree with paulR79

I agree totally, its why ive moved onto a HTC desire (due to arrive today unless a scally neighbour robs it)

the first time i used symbian i thought it was great but ive seen it quickly overtaken, my last symbian phone is my 5800 and unless they pull there britches up it'll be the last which is a shame because the n8 looks a great bit of kit, its just got the wrong OS on

2. Lance 3

Ummm, wrong

It runs Symbian^3 which is pretty much a total rewrite of must of the code and will be used on Symbian^4. This is nothing like Symbian 5th Edition that was an overlay of Symbian 3rd Edition. Symbian^3 does support Qt which is where they are headed. Symbian^4 brings a new UI.

2. nichomach
    Stop

@PauR79

You know for all the down on it, there are a lot of people that _like_ S60; I have any number of E-series phones here that are extremely popular, being simple to use, with good battery life, decent cameras, excellent Exchange integration (although the latest baked-in incarnation of Mail for Exchange wants taking out and shooting IMO). The vast majority of my users do not want or need integrated social networking or whatever.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a pretty good phone

Not *quite* up to Apple or top spec android phones in the GUI department, but in recompense the camera is completely fantastic- very high quality 12MP images, and the 720p25 video is completely smooth, unlike some of the other 720p phones out there. I'd prefer the decent camera to smoother page transition in the GUI any time.

And its cheaper I believe.

No, I don't work for Nokia, but I have tried the phone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The N8 is probably what the N8 needs to be at this point

Cheaper than iPhone while giving a premium experience, that is. I think it will do well. Whether it attracts enough app developers to give Nokia and Ovi the critical mass they need to start competing with iPhone and Android is an other matter..........

5. Temi Sam
    Happy

You forgot its the brand new Symbian^3 OS

Apart from the exaggerated "ugly" UI (S60v5 that is) Symbian is the best OS, I mean what do andriod/iOS phones do that symbian cant? That said its pretty overpriced here in the UK

Still on an N95 here, great phone

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like