back to article Dell Streak causes user fury

Dell's Streak might now be running Android 2.1, but those who've upgraded are finding the newer OS takes away more than it adds to the tablet/phone crossbreed. PC synchronisation, Windows Media Video playback and the Facebook widget are among the reported casualties of the upgrade process, and some who did manage a smooth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Benefits?

So this and all the other Android fragmentation, dilution, operator/handset version issues are the benefits of an "open" mobile OS are they?

2. Tom 7

Dont make me laugh

"The problem may be Dell's, but it's born of Android's aspirations and Google's overconfidence"

Nothing to do with Dells desire to sell machines with OS's that make more profit for them than the hardware then? Has the hardware changed? Er no its a fucking upgrade so what the fuck has Dell being doing in testing?

Why is it a company with thousand of supposedly IT literate staff cant do what some bedroom hacker can do.

Fuckwits to a man.

3. Tim Parker
    WTF?

Driver resources

"work in hardware design for long enough and one gains a grudging respect for Microsoft Windows and its ability to integrate with just about any chunk of hardware. Linux still strives for the same thing with immeasurable resources at its disposal."

Oh for goodness sake - I expect trolling from the comments section but not in the article. If you actually have worked "in hardware design for long enough" you will know where the majority of the drivers for Microsoft Windows platforms are written. They *do* write some themselves - in particular for in-house hardware and drivers for generic services, such as basic USB comms, and do a pretty good job of it. Linux has a broader _mixture_ of drivers written by the community and companies (FOSS, proprietary or otherwise).

As for immeasurability, I take it that means you actually have, by way of comparison, managed to enumerate the totality of the global work force in every company providing software support for devices under Windows ? No ?... well then the comparison is meaningless.

As far as my own experience goes, these days the total driver coverage seems roughly equivalent - in incredibly simplistic terms i'd say better support (from working at all, to optimizations) for bleeding edge devices using closed drivers in the Windows side (or, indeed, OSX to a certain extent), and more/better support for some aging, esoteric or server/HPC-centric bits and bobs in Linux. YMMV.

Where they do seem to differ, these days, is in a default install from the OS installation disks on bare hardware. If you have had even a tiny fraction of the experience you seem to imply, you will know what the easier option is there.

The comments section needs little incentive to riot Bill, please don't kick things off with ill considered and in-accurate statements.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      FAIL

I agree - report is trolling

Has anyone managed an error-free upgrade of, say, Windows XP to Vista with everything 'just working' afterwards?

Hell, MS product design often demands you periodically re-install the OS just to keep the same thing working in an acceptable manner!

Yes, Dell have screwed up by not testing properly before releasing an upgrade, and there may be issues with app development that is not designed up follow a common practice for supporting OS upgrades, but to say MS do it well is simply not true.

As for hardware support, in general MS don't do that either, it is only lots of hard work by the manufacturers with a vested interest in selling to the market's dominant OS that achieves any sort of coverage.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Jobs Halo

Well...

Actually I have done many upgrades on OS-X from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard and iPhone all the way to iOS4 with never a problem.

It is actually what I expect. You have lower expectation, well good for you, I'll continue to have high expectations.

1. os2baba

Not so fast

Google and you will find a lot of pissed off users when they upgraded their iPhone 3 and 3GS to iOS4. I saw my friend's phone that had slowed down to an absolute crawl with the update. And it affected the entire phone not just a few apps. So take off those fanboy blinders.

2. EvilGav 1

Off Topic

"Hell, MS product design often demands you periodically re-install the OS just to keep the same thing working in an acceptable manner!"

No it doesn't. MS Product design means you can install the OS in a manner that means you will likely have to reinstall periodically and allow install on hardware that is not applicable for it.

Anyone with the right background(s) (hardware specification and configuration, OS installation and configuration, application installation and configuration, reliability configuration etc etc), will design and build a machine that doesn't require constant OS re-installs. It is possible.

Which would be why I have a nearly 4 year old PC, running Vista 64-bit, which hasn't been re-installed since build time, is left running for weeks or months without a reboot, has had hardware upgrades (graphics) and yet when set to do the same task as a more recently built machine (similar hardware, Windows 7) is still faster.

If you want something complex done, you don't just let any monkey do it, you find someone who actually knows what they are doing.

@Off Topic

"No it doesn't. MS Product design means you can install the OS in a manner that means you will likely have to reinstall periodically"

Which agrees with my observation: a poorly designed OS that has lead to poorly designed applications being created that cause Joe Average's box to get slower and sicker with time.

For example, a lot of products have background updaters that soak up resources (and still often don't work - Adobe are you listening?), then there is the need for AV in most cases due to such a range of factors in the OS design (e.g. no 'execute' permission in common use), etc.

"If you want something complex done, you don't just let any monkey do it, you find someone who actually knows what they are doing."

Very, very true! Windows need not become crap, but unfortunately in the hands of the average user (and their family) that is just what happens.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
            Flame

Adobe updater does do one thing well

..it slaps a stupid and pointless icon for Reader on my desktop every time. I /really/ wish it wouldn't do that. It's rude and pointless. Has anyone ever, in the entire history of computing, launched the reader by double clicking its program icon?

I think not.

It smacks to me of some stupid git in their marketing department and I wish that person would sod off.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
        Coat

Sorta

The difference in drivers is pretty much as you say but the comment about having to re-install Windows is crap. I'm typing this on a corporate machine that had XP installed when I got it in January 2008. It's not had a reinstall despite the fact I'm a software developer and have even done some debugging of a device driver. It runs just fine. Even IT's continual evolution (forcing AV then auditing then metadata cleaning on to everyone's box) hasn't broken it.

As for HW manufacturers writing drivers I'm unsure. How come I can usually trace my parent's problems back to their naive installing of drivers from discs included with the hardware? 9 times out of 10 removing that crap and letting Windows use built-in drivers produces a far better experience.

But I agree there's not a lot in it once you've finished installation. I just find that Windows is a simpler, streamlined process and wastes less of my time. The downside of that is that the result isn't quite as lean and mean as xIX. The answer to that is simple though - upgrade the hardware.

Mine's the one with the carpet slippers in the pocket because I like the easy life.

Pint

@Sorta

Hmm, "corporate machine" and "I'm a software developer" suggests to me you are not likely to install all sorts of crap from the internet just because you can, and I doubt very much if you are fooled by the fake AV / "scan you system" type scams that pop up. Could be a factor here?

I also don't know quite how the drivers come about, I guess some Windows ones are MS-created for generic products (e.g. USB mass storage) while others will need hardware-specific inputs. Maybe the problems with manufacturer supplied ones on CD is they are old, and MS is shipping / updating with ones that have been fixed?

I too would like a simple life, but have moved to Linux as I found the hassle of me setting things up initially was much less than the on-going battle to keep them up and running with Windows and certain family members. YMMV.

Cheers! Still, this is all very off-topic from Dell's failings!

4. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

Has anyone managed...?

Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt. I have upgraded from 2000 to XP to Vista to Windows 7 without a single bobble (assuming compatible drivers but that isn't unique to MS) with one exception. I've also done 2000 Advanced Server to Server 2003 Enterprise to Server 2008 Enterprise with the same exception. That one exception is systems level software: malware scanners, firewalls, network monitors, IPS/IDS,etc. I've learned early on to uninstall them and make sure no traces remain. You can't blame MS for that problem. Any one or more pieces of software mucking around down at the kernel level isn't going to upgrade well when you swap a changed kernel right under it as I know so well from experience over the last forty years from mainframes down to embedded machines.

Every time Microsoft releases a new software package or operating system, as part of the beta and release candidate tests here, I take it out for a spin to see what gotchas are laying in wait for future upgrades. It's nice to know what screams of pain await me from friends, clients, and relatives, in a few weeks or months. Now for my personal workstation, I always start from scratch since I'm always adding something and taking away something else. I like living on or beyond the bleeding edge.

BTW, I also do the same with many other vendors, not just Microsoft or Windows only software. I think the vendors like the fact I read the documentation and, again, go into the testing with the novice's viewpoint. Or they may just be used to having me underfoot.

As for the assertion that clean re-installs are regularly necessary, sorry but that isn't my experience but I do regular system level maintenance every Sunday. Hardware clean and inspect, log inspect and clean (reverse order for this one), registry clean and inspect, and file system clean and inspect. Then everything gets defragmented and unused space zeroed. If you are regularly installing software, ripping it out later, and depending on whatever uninstaller to actually do a real cleanup, you are living in a fools paradise. From my experience the small vendors/ISV's generally do it right and it's the large vendors that just don't seem to give a rat-frag about cleaning up after themselves. After all, if you aren't giving them their annual subscription/upgrade fees, they don't care about you. Usually. Welcome to power-conflict theory as applied to IT.

4. JaitcH
    Pint

So Dell's technical screw up is an Androis problem?

The fact that Dell issued an upgrade without thorough testing (like Apple) is not the fault of the Android OS. Dell 'enhanced' the OS to interface it with it's product.

Even Apple, with it's buttoned down 100% software, has failed to cure the problems.

Funny how more experienced Android uses such as HTC, Samsung and Motorola have had so much success - must be a reason.

1. Jeremy Chappell
      Jobs Halo

Err Yes...

If the OEMs (in this case Dell) don't deliver - well yes, it is a problem for Android. If Android (the official one) was more prescriptive about hardware and allowable modifications then things would be simpler. I see where you're coming from - but where does the potential purchaser get that "seal of quality" it seems with Android the answer is nowhere. That might be OK, if the device isn't expensive and we're talking about a short life - well OK.

If the OEMs screw this up - then, no matter whom is at fault, then it's a problem for Android. Say what you like about Dell they are a huge and respected name - if they can't get it right... well it's not a good start. I can't see HP doing much with Android (as they have webOS) so who are you going to buy from? (Before you say Samsung - check out how much they want for the Galaxy Tab).

Maybe Apple's iOS suddenly looks a whole lot more inviting.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You mean like this...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2475859&start=0&tstart=0

2. lebeau
        WTF?

Err no...

Dell is a huge and respected name in phones? When did this happen? They're about as respected in this field as Microsoft, and that's being generous. I'd buy a monitor from HTC as soon as a phone from Dell.

These problems sound no more severe or frequent than those experienced by Iphone 3gs upgrade to IOS4. If Android were more prescriptive about hardware as you suggest, it would be Iphone. It wouldn't be availible with a 5" screen (which I personally don't care for), or Garmin maps integrated (not for me either), or on TMobile (yes, please) or with a hardware keyboard (gotta have it), or with google voice, or with tether and wifi hotspots, and all the other things that make Android more... me than the Iphone can ever be. I use "me" in the general sense here.

Dell Streak is not the "start" for Android. My G1, rooted and ROMmed to Android 2.2 is almost 2 years old, and the Iphone 4 upgraded to IOS 4.1 (or jailbroken) with a free bumper is the first Apple phone I'd trade it for. Even then, I'd just put a pretty new back on it, sell it for more than retail, and get myself a Droid Incredible.

Maybe Apple's IOS doesn't look inviting specifically because no one is invited...

2. Manu T

Gee who would have thought of that?

"With every new Android device the supported hardware base grows. Combine that with Google's determination to release a new OS every six months, and you're creating a legacy of disillusioned users who'll start to value stability and simplicity above the openness touted by Android."

Gee, who'd thought of that >:->

I guess Google should also tighten the hardware (as Apple and since awhile Microsoft are doing).

Which means the only "compatible" android phones are the N1 and the HTC Desire :-)

I just don't get it. I think ppl just "need" to complain. I mean they complain about Symbian and Windows Mobile 6.x which are probably the most mature smartphone OS's around and now they compain about this suposedly bleeding edge OS.

Just make it easy. The HTC Desire is probably the most google compatible Android phone so stop deluding ppl into buying samsung/SE/other incompatible crap. Even other HTC models are a no-go in this matter. Hell, if those moronic manufacturors all made copies o/t Google N1 then this shit wouldn't have gone this far.

or make it even easier. Just buy Nokia's or iPhones. Problem solved :-)

Oh but that means no use for all those webazines boasting about the next big phone.

Either way... that upcoming Nokia N8 is starting to look interesting with every new Android crap released :-). Perhaps Nokia should pay Google for the help in making that old platform popular again with their fuck-ups :-)

1. Argh
        Unhappy

Desirable?

> The HTC Desire is probably the most google compatible Android phone

That's great if you're happy with the whole 70MB or so free internal storage that it provides to install your applications. I have one and it's nowhere near enough to use a wide range of applications / games without hacking an apps2sd+ ROM.

Even the Froyo updates don't help a lot, as so much is still stored on the internal storage and when you get down to ~15MB free and get the low storage warning, some apps stop working, e.g. gmail refusing to sync.

5. DrXym

How is this the fault of Google?

It's up to Dell to adequately build, test and deploy the upgrade. Given this is an update to 2.1 (the current latest being 2.2), it seems they should have plenty of time to make it work properly.

If the update has been screwed up or apps are missing it has nothing to do with Google.

1. pan2008

if it was Windows?

If that was your windows PC and it froze you would have blamed microsoft not the dodgy motherboad of your Advent PC or your cr*ppy ram. So I blame google then.

1. Neoc
        Stop

Incorrect analogy

Erm no... your analogy is incorrect.

This was an upgrade *supplied by Dell*. So your analogy should have been: "if this was your windows PC and you applied an upgrade supplied by the maker of your motherboard...".

Who would you blame then? The person who wrote the original tries-to-work-with-everybody software? Or the motherboard supplier who didn't bother to check if it worked with *their* motherboard before giving you the upgrade?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Benefits

>So this and all the other Android fragmentation, dilution, operator/handset version issues are the benefits of an "open" mobile OS are they?

Caveat emptor - manufacturers can do whatever they like, including screwing it up. Shoddy support from Dell seems like a good reason not to buy a Streak, but that's hardly Android's 'fault'. Plenty of other fish in the barrel.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Immeasurable resources

"Supporting an OS running on a range of different hardware is really tough - work in hardware design for long enough and one gains a grudging respect for Microsoft Windows and its ability to integrate with just about any chunk of hardware. Linux still strives for the same thing with immeasurable resources at its disposal."

I'd like to believe your tongue is so far into your cheek that it has cracked my humour meter.

Otherwise I would have to conclude it's where the Redmond sun doesn't shine.

8. Tigra 07
    Terminator

Here's to hoping

This better not happen when i get my upgrade

The androids are coming, and they're upgrading!

9. Anthony Shortland
    Unhappy

its all going a bit pete tong isnt it?

Oh dear android (I'm a android user and love it btw)...

How has android got to this point where its supposed to be for average users, and where it has such regular OS revisions (which seem to generally require full wipes to be successful) and yet there is no way for said average person to back up their data?

HTCs sync software is about where Nokia was 10 years ago - very unreliable, and only really does contacts and calendar and not a lot else.

Ok so backup programs exist, yet most require root access (titanium) - not something an average user is going to dare attempting. Its also not something an average user should have to attempt to ensure their data is safe. Especially when the process is different for each phone/rom.

I really hope android 3.0 covers this huge hole in functionality. What we need is some background OS level process which backs up everything from the phone memory (without needing root access) and dumps it to a simple single file on the sdcard. Then it should be inteligent enough to restore what it can (including apps!) depending on OS compatibility if it finds that file on the first boot after an OS upgrade.

Doubt it will happen though.

10. Martin Glassborow
    WTF?

Microsoft???

With The Register's antipathy towards Apple and the iPhone; and now displaying antipathy towards Google and Android; we are now in the bizarre situation where they are grudgingly praising Microsoft.

What a bizarre world we live in!!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Microsoft???

We hate everyone almost all the time. Keep up.

1. James Hughes 1

Thanks Sarah

You saved me from posting the exact same text.

2. Tigra 07

@ Sarah

Shouldn't you like them since they keep you in a job Sarah?

Although, as i wrote that i can sympathise with some.

Shopkeepers and call centre staff spring to mind.

3. yeehaw....
        Alert

It's called "H&D"

As in "Hate and Discontent".

I have been doing it for years..... Well just since I went into IT back in the early 90's.

It's what we do.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
        Coat

This is not a title

Yeah, I find as I get older, that it saves time to assume everyone else is a git and out to make my life harder.

Mine's the one with bus pass in the pocket.

11. Asphy
    FAIL

Responsibility of this farce...

Would land perfectly in the lap of Dell. I actually feel sorry for O2, having promised a 2.2 upgrade on launch only to be left to deal with Dells complete and utter failure to deliver even a barely working 2.1 rom.

Having had the streak since a day after launch here in the UK, and with the help and support of a ton of people on the Android Modaco forums, I've been running both official (1.6 and 2.1) builds as well as all three leaked 2.1 versions between. If Dell had been somewhat more open with their testing every single one of these issues would have been reported and fixed before release, we've been screaming about them enough!

Dell, I know you probably have to screen the kernel sources for any proprietary code before releasing, but for the love of god release it already. You've got all these people who love this device, determined to make the Streak just about as great as it can be, yet continue go it alone and f**k it up at every possible opportunity.

1. Goat Jam
      WTF?

Errm

"Dell, I know you probably have to screen the kernel sources for any proprietary code before releasing"

Uh, are they even allowed to put proprietary code into the kernel?

I don't think so.

No screening is required, if they put the code there they have to release it. End of story.

12. Liminality
    Unhappy

To be fair to the author

This IS a Google/Android problem- it's not their fault for sure, but it's their problem. Each different implementation by each different manufacturer with each of their own user interface layers sandwiched on top of Android means the onus is pushed increasingly onto those manufacturers to support and test upgrades in a timely fashion to ensure their particular implementation of Android still functions under the latest release by Google. When one of those manufacturers (Dell in this case) fails to hold up their end of the bargain, the Android brand as a whole suffers. That's the downside of co-marketing handsets as "The XYZ with Android"- when an upgrade of the operating system fails the 'average user' thinks both Product X AND Android are rubbish.

The problem is exacerbated with upgrade paths that come at different speeds for different handsets. How frustrating is it going to be for User A when User B's manufacturer has released Android 2.8, but User A is missing out on dozens of features because their handset manufacturer hasn't pulled finger and got round to testing and releasing it, and is still stuck on Android 2.1?

Google needs to have a serious word in the ear of the handset big boys and get them to put their houses in order before they kill the Android brand (and Google's future prosperity) by doing this kind of cr@p...

13. rahul
    FAIL

Google's "cloud" backup...

... of contacts, calendar, mail and other items will easily be restored across an update.

The keyword here is a "firmware" upgrade. The world over, a firmware upgrade will delete all data on the device. Blaming Google is FAIL. Dell could have issued an advisory (and I strongly suspect they did) that all data will be lost following an upgrade.

14. NellyD
    FAIL

Bring on the PalmPad (or whatever)

Why is it only Palm and webOS that've managed to join up the dots and deliver regular OS updates (to all devices and not the latest handset blasted out the door) that:

a) Come OTA straight to the device.

b) Don't require a bloated POS desktop program to install.

c) Keeps all your stuff intact.

d) Be easy enough to apply that anyone can do it?

Android is the new WinMo... only with much worse 3rd party developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

It's not just Palm

My HTC Desire was upgraded OTA over a 3G connection with no more interaction than accepting the invitation to update. I didn't lose any apps, documents or any other settings and it was completely seamless.

Don't tar all manufacturers with Dell's fuck up brush...

1. NellyD
        FAIL

Oh yes it is!

Read my first sentence.

HTC (never mind individual carriers) are legendary for supporting their newest handset-of-the-week now aren't they. Just because your carrier blew away tradition and actually released an update for one particular handset does not, by a very long shot, make Android anything other than the fragmented mess it's been for a long time already.

2. The Other Steve
      Stop

Ouch

"Android is the new WinMo... "

True 'nuf, but : "only with much worse 3rd party developers."

Ouch. Really ? I can't speak for the quality of 'droid development, because as a highly over sexed member of a selfish elite I have to use an iPhone, otherwise my clique will abandon me and I'll be all alone out there on the plains without a herd, food for ambush predators brandishing the GPL3.

But I've been a WinMo dev, and I can honestly say that the quality of WinMo development has been almost universally godawful.

If 'droid developers are truly worse I shudder to think what kind of UX people are putting up with just avoid the taint of the Jobsian cult. Well, that and the curse of iTunes.

15. The Other Steve

Awww

And I thought that every Android update would entail a magic unicorn jumping out of the device to lick the user's erogenous zones and sprinkle them with magic pixie dust while singing the Free Software Song.

Did I miss an email ?

16. CrusaderUK
    Megaphone

Who are these people?

What gives?

Am I the only person who's had the Streak since the first week on O2 and can't fault it?

1.6 was perfectly fine and 2.1 is superb, though I must admit I liked the "old" keyboard with the numeric pad.

I've read widely and wisely, tested regularly, and followed instructions to the letter and had no problems whatsoever. This is an awesome piece of kit which does everything and more than I expected, and the only problem seems to be that users expect to be spoon fed with instructions. I know it was simpler to push button A to connect or push button B to get your money back in the 50's but today's world seems to want everything on a plate with no effort involved on their part. If there's a problem with your phone or OS then SOLVE IT FFS. Chances are it's your own incompetence or inadequate reading of the instructions that caused it in the first place.

Yes I know the phone will be wiped on upgrade which is why you're advised to BACKUP!!!!!!

Yes I know the phone will need you to personally tweak some settings to get everything to your satisfaction after the upgrade which is why God gave you a BRAIN!!!!!!

As a pensioner I despair that we've turned into a nation on non-problem-solvers who simply want EVERYTHING on a plate and who are either unwilling or unable to actually get a piece of equipment working properly.

BTW, can any of you complainers out there boil an egg?

1. Paul Harrap
      Coat

I am not furious

No, you're not the only one. I've had it, loved it, and upgraded it without problems.

2. Manas Straw
      Joke

Ehh? Boil an egg?

You actually boil an egg? I buy mine that way.

Next you would be asking if we can make an omelet?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Boffin

Time to despair

You can buy omelettes in the frozen food section of any reasonably large Tesco.

3. Andrew Lobban
      Stop

No!

Maybe, just maybe, most people have actual lives to be getting on with. If I spent time reading in detail as you describe about all my devices I'd have no time to do anything else. Expecting things to just work is exactly how it should be! Why the hell would I want to delve into the inner workings of a bloody phone, I want to use it to get things done/enjoy it! Raise you're expectations a bit a maybe companies will stop release broken products/software.

4. Asphy
      Flame

Okay, I'll bite :)

"Am I the only person who's had the Streak since the first week on O2 and can't fault it?"

Nope, not at all.. I'd count myself in this group too (i've experienced problems sure, but I've been messing around with leaked builds and under the hood stuff, end of the day that's my problem) however don't assume that just because you've experienced no problems that a large proportion of other users haven't either.

I have no idea where you're going with the whole "backup" thing. I don't think i've heard any complaints from people saying "OMGWTFBBQ! The update that told me clearly it was going to wipe my device has wiped all the data off my device!!!1111".

The simple fact of the matter is the following issues have fallen on a lot of people:

1) Bricked devices on official update - there are many people there who've followed the instructions to the LETTER to be left hung on the Dell logo or with flashing LED's. There are also a large proportion of devices that are having restore issues with the 2.1 firmware requiring a lot of work to go back to the 1.6 rom, then clean upgrade to 2.1

2) Reversed accelerometer in portrait mode, this is REALLY annoying if somewhat intermittent.

3) Hideously reduced battery life, I've had this with all the leaked builds. com.android.bluetooth pegs the cpu at 100% and reduces my usual 2day light usage battery capacity to less than three hours. Simple solution sure, kill it off first time and process restarts and never returns. Seriously though, is your average non techie PM, CEO etc expected to know this?

4) Reversed volume buttons - This, I don't think is a bug. On 1.6 the buttons reversed in portrait mode, on 2.1 the buttons dont. Personally I love this, the button with the raised bump always turns the volume up regardless and is probably how it should work.

5) Dells support... It's non existent! Some people have waited WEEKS to have devices repaired or replaced and people are literally FIGHTING to get answers to their problems.

6) O2's support... They have no clue, most answers from their support department didn't even know there WAS a 2.1 update, one service agent didn't even know what the Streak was.

Anyway after all that.. I also agree with a few of your points, so it's not all negative:

1) we are building a world of non problem solving retards and it bugs me too...

2) Everyone hates the 1.6 numeric keypad, except apparently the both of us, I loved it and miss it dearly. Entering passwords was never so easy.

3) Like you, I love my Streak! In the right hands it's an incredible device and I don't regret launching my iPhone for this one bit. It's the best phone (term used loosely ;) I've ever had.

In closing, Dell really botched this update for a LOT of people, and we're not even up to our promised dessert based version yet.

Oh, and boiled eggs... two and a half minutes from boiling, perfect runny yoke egg every time, no problem =p

1. CrusaderUK
        Happy

Okay, I'll bite.........................the bullet;)

Hey ma man/woman Asphy - I thought I was a lone voice!!!!!!!!

Maybe I have a unique Streak or maybe we do things differently but first 1 to 4 have not been a prob ;)

5-6 I haven't bothered with they're for tho doh's!!!!!

Second 1, 2 3, hallelujah, esp 2, the numeric pad was sooooooooooooooooooooo easy.

Life isn't always going to be this easy you know.

When the s*** hits the fan and we're back in the dark ages - all too soon the way things are going with religious/political/social conflict, it's the thinkers who'll survive.

SO.

Does your egg come from the fridge or is it at room temperature?

1. Asphy
          Pint

Nice catch!

You're definitely not a lone voice on this one.. the battery issue got me on the leaked builds, but hey, they're leaked and beta at best and wasn't present in the official 8105 build. I've experienced the reversed accelerometer on a couple of things (doodlejump is the most annoying but i play most stuff landscape anyway so no biggie). The volume buttons I count as a fix, 1.6 was annoying as hell.

I think going back to the dark ages would be great, as much as I love computers and all the wonderful things today's tech brings us, I'm more than capable of going back to living off the land and solving stuff myself. Indeed I find the thought somewhat alluring though I'll probably be run off the reg with torches and pitchforks for saying so ;)

As for the whole fridge/room temp argument. As far as I'm aware its not the temperature that really matters, its the change in temperature. If I buy my eggs at room temp (most of the time) I store them at room temp, if they refrigerated then they go in the back of the fridge.

I always wondered that, if its the temperature change that damages eggs, why the hell do they put the egg holders in the fridge door? :-/

Besides, eggs in the fridge takes up valuable beer space anyway...

2. The Other Steve
        Badgers

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'

"1) Bricked devices on official update - there are many people there who've followed the instructions to the LETTER to be left hung on the Dell logo or with flashing LED's"

No, there are many people who SAY they have followed the instructions to the letter, not messed with anything beforehand, etc, etc.

I will guarantee you that a portion of those are lying and another portion are just mistaken about what the instructions actually were. Probably the most vociferous ones.

3. Paul Harrap
        Happy

"literally" :-)

@Asphy: "people are literally FIGHTING to get answers to their problems."

Literally?

5. lemster

Go on, i'll also bite: I love my Streak but...

I followed the update instructions to the letter, my Streak was full charged and on mains...

but ended up with:

1) an out of whack touchscreen that said i was pressing on an opposite end of the screen (for example)

2) a keyboard that started typing "L" on it's own like a stuck key

3) a menu shortcut bar that *whenever* you try and rearrange whats there reboots the whole phone.

This on top of random reboots (which TBH has happened on most smartphones i've owned since the Sony Ericsson P90)

A bit of digging and I found how to get to Factory Reset and Screen Calibration, i;ve posted what I did here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19345387.aspx

and it's fixed everything bar the Menu bar-reboot and the random reboot.

Spoken with O2 and they've said to reinstall again or get it repaired... i'll persevere.

All in all it's a great device for the typical early adopter. It's got masses of potential and the form factor is great... despite the problems I'm fully hooked on the wee beastie. However this does appear to be an utterly borked situation, for whatever reason, and Dell is being eerily silent on the matter: certainly not good from a customer relations or PR perspective.

A shame really, as thats a very easy thing to fix.

1. Asphy
        Go

Possible help

Someone I know experienced the menubar reset bug too. Solved this by flashing the 1.6 stock recovery image (the actual recovery image, not the rom) then using the stock recovery to flash the 1.6 rom.. then finally trying a clean update to 2.1 with Upgrade.pkg on the sdcard and doing the usual. May be worth a try.

A lot of fixes like this can be found on the modaco forums (android.modaco.com) as well as all the recovery and rom images as well as self cooked roms.

Off topic.. you can also get Froyo on the streak too:

http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tumblr_l3z5lz8tQf1qauiczo1_500.jpg

17. CrusaderUK
    Grenade

Rant over

Dell Streak s.t.r.e.a.k.s. and I'm heartfelt sorry that SOME people are unable to use this piece of equipment to it's full potential, or are unable to follow instructions correctly.

Why do you think IKEA have so many returns doh!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood...........

If all else fails, read the instructions.

18. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

The buck stops at Dell and O2

I have my 'issues' with Android ( hype, fragmentation, forks, promised 'liberation' for phone users being just a pipe-dream in practice ) but in this case only Dell and O2 can take responsibility for releasing an upgrade which doesn't come up to expectations.

The trouble is ,when selling phones on the back of "Android" branding, people talking in terms of buying an "Android phone" rather than a Dell or O2 phone, then mistakes such as these impact on the Android brand itself. Most end-users won't understand the technicalities; as far as they are concerned, "Android is broken, doesn't work".

The question is whether Google can afford to put the blame on Dell and O2 to protect Android's image or whether they'll take the hit to maintain the relationship? Do Google even care while Android remains flavour of the month?

19. WonkoTheSane

At least Dell issued an upgrade!

(disgruntled Motorola Dext owner)

20. JustinN

Facebook doesn't work in 2.1

The Facebook which comes preloaded on the Desire works fine, however if you update it (which is the same version Dell streak users have), it no longer works on the Droid until you upgrade to 2.2. The bug is known by Facebook, however I have no clue if they plan to do anything about it.

1. Andrew Jones

Facebook doesn't work in 2.1

Best reason I've heard not to update to 2.2 then

21. Atonnis

'Android devices aren't aimed at the technically minded'?!?

Erm. If anything I would've thought that if ANY phone OS was aimed at the technically-minded it's Android. It's sparse, dull, but also particularly nippy and extremely expandable....which pretty much describes desktop Linux to me - a nice easy install to have a blank slate with no data, and then a few applications you set up for an hour or so and get it all working....and then wipe the whole thing, put Windows back on, load up a game and heave a huge sigh of relief.

22. Naughtyhorse

...assumption that Dell would take care of it.

there's your problem, right there

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

I hate Dell

I have neither the time, nor the patience to go into it, I just do, OK?

1. CrusaderUK
        Black Helicopters

The "doers" are dead meat ;)

When the s*** hits the fan and we're back in the dark ages - all too soon the way things are going with religious/political/social conflict, it's the thinkers who'll survive.

See you on the other side :)...........................................................

Maybe.............................................................................................

If you come to your senses............................................................

"""IT""" won't always be here for you LOL

23. /dev/null
    FAIL

Another example of why...

There's a lot to be said for software *and* hardware being engineered, tested and released by the same company. The way computers used to be, before they became commodities. To quote Scott McNealy, "the only value you can add to a banana is a bruise" :-)

1. CrusaderUK
      Happy

Variety is the spice of life

I like what ethylene does to my bananas - it makes them sweeter ;)

Mind you.

I like more than one variety of banana, or APPLE, or pear, or strawberry etc...............................:)

24. pan2008

expected.

I am waiting for October for Windows Phone 7. Android suffers from exactly the same problems Windows mobile suffered for the last 7 years. IPhone is good but don't support monopolies of software and hardware plus 50% in london have one.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Berks

anyone "caught out" by the need to "replace all their data and installed applications" is clearly too stupid to be allowed to breathe/vote/reproduce. Every Android OS update I have even done has come with huge warnings that you will need to re-install apps (though data on an SD is card is safe as houses).

Getting even a heavily modded Android phone back to the pe-upgrade status is never the work of much more than an hour, if that.

Not a problem with Android, but a problem with the world being full of bleating fools.

26. MikeWolf
    FAIL

Dell sucks

Most other Android devices are moving to 2.2, and Dell JUST got 2.1? That's just sad. I'm sorry, but this is purely Dell's problem. They implemented their device on a severely out of date version of Android in the first place, then rushed and put out a half-ass patch for it. There's no excuse for this. Android 2.x has been out for a long time, and releasing a NEW product running 1.6 is inexcusable.

27. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Driver support fantasy

"work in hardware design for long enough and one gains a grudging respect for Microsoft Windows and its ability to integrate with just about any chunk of hardware. Linux still strives for the same thing with immeasurable resources at its disposal."

Not really. I've found slapping Ubuntu onto a box, it's far FAR FAAAR more likely to be able to just install and have everything work than any version of Windows. Out of the box, XP Vista and 7 all have fairly poor driver support, requiring driver downloads for loads of hardware (XP is of course worse about this since it's drivers are almost 10 years out of date.) I've found this view of Windows having such ubiquitous support to be a fantasy consisting of combining driver support of multiple Windows versions -- XP no longer supports some newer hardware since there's no XP drivers for it, while Vista and 7 have dropped support for numerous pieces of older hardware.

Anyway, I don't know what this has to do with Android or this Dell -- the Dell-added apps disappearing is strictly Dell's problem, they either didn't add those apps to the update, or didn't make sure the Dell-added apps were backed up from 1.6 and reinstalled under 2.1.. this is not a driver problem in any sense. People not backing up data, that is unfortunate, but again not a driver problem, it's difficult to do a major update of this type in place, especially if there's just not extra space on the phone. The reversed volume buttons can be strictly speaking a driver problem, but key mapping is something that will be different on almost every phone, it's not some deep driver problem, it's a lack of QA on Dell's part, there's either a table of button->keys that Dell can fix the volume keys in, or swap them higher up (between the driver and apps).

I just don't see Android supporting a lot of different hardware as a big deal. If people want a locked down, restrictive experience they can already buy an IPhone, that is not what Android is about.

1. The Other Steve
      WTF?

Oh how insightful

So a brand new install of Ubuntu, which comes with a 'kitchen sink' kernel has better immediate driver support than a ten year old copy of an unsupported and obsolete OS ?

Film at fucking 11.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like