back to article Naomi Campbell admits handling 'blood diamonds'

Naomi Campbell has admitted that she was given diamonds in the form of "dirty stones" by henchmen of former Liberian president Charles Taylor. Campbell was subpoenaed to appear before the UN war crimes tribunal in the Hague, where Taylor stands accused of 11 counts of war crimes in Sierra Leone, "including charges of murder, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flugal
    IT Angle

I must be being slow

I must be being slow this morning....why are you publishing this story? I know you will have a valid reason, but cannot for the life of me think what it might be.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I must be being slow

We did it for you, Flugal. We did it all for you.

1. Annihilator
        Pint

@Sarah

Do you let these comments through just for our entertainment Sarah? I'll be honest, it's starting to remind me of seeing a comedy film that I've watched so many times that it's become boring...

I can't imagine what it's like for you.

1. lawndart

I just typed flugal into Google....

The urban dictionary definition is most interesting.

I has also put me off my lunch.

1. asiaseen

It's even more off-putting

if you check out www.drugs.com and its ingredient, Fluconazole.

2. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah

Oh yes, for me it's like Groundhog Day except that Groundhog Day is funny.

2. CASIOMS-8V

*shiver*

That comment reminds me of the scene from The Omen involving the nanny, a length of rope, and a window.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: *shiver*

"Look at me, Damian!"

2. Andrew the Invertebrate

I'm guessing that

it's a bit of placeholder story, that will be updated as soon as the phones start flying across the courtroom.

2. Tokoloshe
    Thumb Up

Public service

El Reg is helping us avoid the recently ruined BBC news site.

1. koncordski
      WTF?

@ Tokoloshe

Recently ruined...where have you been?

2. Rob
      FAIL

I agree...

... what is all that about, the redesign is appalling. Haven't seen any public consultation on it either.

I think they want to produce less articles on the site so have design it so that each article takes up more space, helps to cover up the poor journalism I suppose.

FAIL for the BBC, Campbell is so much of a non-human that she doesn't even deserve a fail.

1. Rob

Main course and dessert

I think I'll have to eat 2 of my hats, the BBC site just threw up a survey on the new look, scratch the comment about public consultation (even if it is after the horse has bolted)

1. Marcus Aurelius
          Flame

BBC News is still my primary news site

But I can't help feeling I'm now reading a comic instead of a serious paper/ site.

2. irish donkey
        FAIL

I used to be able to waste hours on the BBC site

5 mins now and its all done.

shame

BTW: who is Naomi Campbell. Did she redesign the BBC Website. Is she an IT Angel?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope she gets charged as well

With handling the stuff.

But she wont.

4. Avalanche

Location, location

The Sierra Leone tribunal is not in The Hague, it is in Leidschendam (which admittedly is next to The Hague). Interestingly it is setup in the former headquarters of the Dutch secret service (AIVD).

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I thought I saw

AVID! lol sorry

Yes, where is the IT in this story.. She was 30 mins late? Any ideas why? Probably beating up her Iphone with her right hand?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazingly...

They were saying on Radio4 news this morning that there were something in excess of 200 journos who applied to report from the courtroom this morning (the court has about 30 seats.)

Guess how many journos apply to report this war crimes tiral on a daily basis. That's right, not a single one.

Ms Campbell is a model, one who apparantly accepts uncut diamonds from unknown people and doesn't bother to ask questions. I mean, if someone gave me a small pouch of uncut diamonds, I'm pretty sure I'd ask questions. I'm just pissed off that something as important as a war crimes tiral only gets reported because of a celbrity link.

NB: I'm not having a go at el Reg here, as they have a 'thing' for reporting Ms Campbell, but I dispare at mainstream news.

1. TkH11

questions

Fraser, you and I might ask questions if diamonds are given to us in the dead of night by unknown people, but we're talking Naomi Cambell here. She's not the brightest of girls.

She's acknowledged in court she never heard of the idea of "blood" diamonds.

7. smudge
    Paris Hilton

"I'd never heard of Liberia"

A clip on the BBC lunchtime news showed her saying that she'd never heard of Liberia.

One wonders if she had been advised to appear so ignorant that she wouldn't have a clue about anything, or if [remainder of sentence removed by my lawyers]

Picture of Paris just to confuse Ms C if she's reading this.

8. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Blood oil?

"Blood diamonds" is a marketing campaign by De Beers in S. Africa to stop people buying the competition. The same De Beers that cared so much about poor Africans it had nothing to do with the previous S. African regime.

Perhaps BP could start a similar campaign against middle easter oil?

Persuading people to only buy 'freedom oil' from the Gulf of Mexico or the North Sea?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a party

Has anyone ever wondered who drew up the guest list?

'So we've got Mia Farrow - Nelson always liked 'Hannah and Her Sisters', Naomi will add a bit of glamour - so all we need now is a war criminal - is Charles free?'

10. TkH11

Factual inaccuracy

She didn't admit they were given to her by henchman of Charles Taylor. Register, you have incorrectly reported the proceedings in Court this morning.

What she actually has said that the guys giving her the diamonds didn't say who they were, who they were representing and didn't state who the gift was from.

She's trying to make out that she didn't engage in any one-on-one conversation with Taylor, except for group conversation at the dinner table. She's then trying to claim someone's given her a gift in the middle of the night when she was asleep, without disclosing who they are.

It's a little bizarre.

This part of the case hinges on whether it can be established, proven that the diamonds came from Taylor, and thereby prove some of Taylors earlier testimony in relation to not handling diamonds is untrue, and would prove that he was using diamonds other than for his own personal use at about the time of the war.

Personally, I think it inconceivable that somebody would give a gift in the middle of the night,wake someone up and for that person not to reveal who's giving the gift..you'd want the recipient to know the gift came from you!

Campbell is trying to make out she had no after diner contact of any kind with Taylor, whilst one of the other witnesses has claimed that Campbell was flirting with Taylor and that witness overheard Taylor saying to her that he was going to give her a diamond(s).

I think in reality what happened is the two henchman most likely said "this is a gift for you from Mr. Taylor", which is what other witnesses are claiming Cambell said happened the next morning.

Campbell doesn't want to get involved this case and is worried for the safety of herself and her family and so is conveniently denying all knowledge of where these diamonds came from.

It's simply her word against the other two witnesses, and as it was 13 years ago, no one can prove beyond doubt what really happened, so Cambell can lie through her teeth about the fine detail and get away with it.

11. Morpho Devilpepper
    WTF?

Urrrgh...

Christ, people...it's called "Odds and Sods" for a reason! If you aren't morbidly amused by oddball stories involving incompetent celebrities making themselves look even dumber than usual, then go read a Linux textbook. Your cynicism buttons must be jammed.

Now, as I was saying, I don't blame Naomi for being reluctant to admit having handled Taylor's dirty stones. Think of the social stigma. He really should've washed them first before giving them to her.

12. Mr Larrington
    FAIL

Eh?

This story does not contain the phrase or saying "battling Streatham clotheshorse" and is therefore deeply suspicious.

This topic is closed for new posts.