back to article SAS man makes phone-based publicity lunge

Ex-SAS man and action author Andy McNab's latest book is going to be promoted with a short-code that responds with a link to the first chapter of the book, free to your mobile phone - but unlike previous promotions of this type the chapter is also available in spoken form. Giving away the chapter of a book for reading on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kane
    Paris Hilton

No Service?

It seems that Borders isn't even offering the service anymore.

http://www.bordersstores.co.uk/bookstomobile/

And where the hell is the Paris Hilton angle?

2. frank denton
    Thumb Down

Great Idea But.....

Why should I download a book to my mobile phone when I can wait until I get home and then download it to my laptop, at zero marginal cost of download?

If I'm stuck in an airport or railway station, desperate for something to read, then there are shops/kiosks that sell a bewildering variety of low cost books made of paper, which I've found to be very easy to use.

3. Jon Green
    Coat

Publicity lunge?

Shouldn't that (in accordance with current practice) be "surge"?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Of all the cornball ideas

A book on a mobile phone. Great, count me impressed.

No really, I am. Anyone using that is going to spend as much time pressing the "next word" key as he is reading.

In the list of other utterly useless things to add to mobile phones, I suggest we add a sunshine detector. That way, if ever you have doubts about what the weather is like, just check your phone and it will tell you that, yes, that blinding light up in the sky is the sun !

Come on, you know we need it.

5. Simon

Why not?

The Register missed the point of McNab's new mobile campaign. Reading a book on your mobile? Sucky idea. LISTENING to a book on your mobile? Something totally different.

"Why should I download a book to my mobile phone when I can wait until I get home and then download it to my laptop, at zero marginal cost of download?"

Because you aren't at home? Most mobile networks have extremely cheap data plans now, and the takeup of these have been pretty impressive.

"If I'm stuck in an airport or railway station, desperate for something to read, then there are shops/kiosks that sell a bewildering variety of low cost books made of paper, which I've found to be very easy to use."

The point is that you can listen to McNab's audio stories where ever you are. If you're on the train and you didn't have time to get a book, you can have a listen. If you're travelling down the motorway you can listen to his audio series without having to stop at a service station. The list of scenarios is endless...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like