back to article Apple acquisition points to Google Maps divorce

Apple has acquired the French-Canadian mapping-software firm Poly9 and moved the company's braintrust to the Cupertino mothership. This news comes from the Quebec daily Le Soleil in an article with a title that emphasizes that the acquisition was for Poly9's talent more than its products: "Apple achète des cerveaux de Québec …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Styles

Oceania is at war with Eastasia

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

2. James O'Brien
    Jobs Horns

Hmm..question

Does this mean Google will make the APIs for Google Earth and their mapping service closed now to prevent Apple from using them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think they would need to

The entire point would be for Apple to be using something else, and try and spin it as a differentiator.

Also, doesn't google require licensing for commercial use of its mapping stuff? That seems to be stopping a million and one looky likie apps being sold on Android (though there are a good few free ones using google maps).

Anyway, this isn't a shock- google is now the number one threat to Apple, in the mobile device stakes. You'd expect them to have been looking around for something else to use to provide them with mapping- otherwise, it'd be like Microsoft shipping Quicktime instead of Windows Meeja Player.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets be honest here

The author is still revising for his french GCSE and just wants to show off right?

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ jtr101

I was surprised to see "bien d'autres" in the article, instead of "plein d'autres". Both mean the same thing, but around these parts it is the latter that is used. Still, Québeçois has many other, larger, differences from French-French...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just

Joking around fella.

2. Colin Mountford
      Headmaster

Unacceptable slur on the author

Considering the level demonstrated in the article and the state of foreign language teaching in the UK I would say he is at least revising for A levels.

4. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

Talent

"the acquisition was for Poly9's talent more than its products"

I don't suppose it matters whether the "talent" enjoys being part of the Cupertino Cult does it.

It's not like they can all up and leave or something is it . .

Oh wait . . .

5. Juan Inamillion
    Flame

@heyrick

Québeçois is arguably one of the most unattractive languages - although I suppose you could call it a dialect. That said I've always found French-Canadians a very well balanced people - with a chip on each shoulder...

/Mines got the fur collar

6. Kevin Fairhurst
    Thumb Up

All this means is...

... that ten minutes after Apple announce that they have a new official map application that doesn't use Google Maps at all, Google will be sending a new Google Maps app to the AppStore submissions team!

7. James Hughes 1

So,

Can we expect a press release in the future.

"Apple have developed and are now shipping a Mapping Application for the iPhone. This new technology means you can view maps and plan trips on your phone. This brand new feature, unique to Apple phones, has been years in the making, and is yet another reason to buy Apple's IPhone. "

And presumably they will be applying for the patens soon.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Perhaps they could call it

iMap?

9. Someone Else Silver badge
    Welcome

Un véritable mur du silence

"Welcome to the NFL, kid!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

What happens next?

If some of the other Apple acquisitions are any guide, the "brains" will all jump ship and start another company which then maybe gets acquired by Google or someone else. It's not all shiny playtime at the Appleplex, especially if the Apple police enter the building and get everyone to assume the position, Fifth Element-style.

11. Charles King
    Thumb Up

Ballistic Reindeer

This article was worth it just for the 'Track Santa with NORAD' link.

DefCon X(mas)!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do they get their mapping data?

TomTom have Tele Atlas and Nokia have Navteq. I understand these are the only two global players. Google is (I guess) building its own database by buying in data and sending out spy cars.

How does Apple get its data? From Tom Tom, or does it have to use local map suppliers in individual countries?

13. Rogerborg

I'd love to see Apple GPS

iMap: "You have arrived at your destination, 'Garry's Tyres and Exhausts'."

Fanboi: "Uh, no... this looks like a Starbucks..."

iMap: "You. Have. Arrived."

Fanboi: "Yes, yes, it's all so clear now. I HAVE arrived! Praise the Lord Steve!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like