back to article Humongous star ejects jumbo jellyfish

NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) has snapped the "jumbo jellyfish" resulting from the ejection of material from "humongous" V385 Carinae - a Wolf-Rayet star lying some 16,000 light-years from Earth in the constellation Carina: WISE image of V385 Carinae. Pic: NASA NASA explains that V385 Carinae is about 35 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ShaggyDoggy

Atoms

I'm no scientist, but when an oxygen atom is stripped of some electrons, surely it ceases to be an oxygen atom ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

not quite, but I see your reasoning

It becomes a positively charged Oxygen atom. If it was to shed protons and neutrons, it's atomic mass and number would change, and henceforth be a diferent element. Electrons are of minimal mass (nearly 1 2000th of the mass of the neutron) and do not contribute to the atomic number (No. of neutrons) which give an element it's unique characteristics.

It's been many years since I studied this though so the old standard model may be wrong now! :)

Fantastic images though! Great stuff NASA

2. The Nameless Mist
      WTF?

Chemistry 101

The basis of a Chemical Element is the number of PROTONS in the NUCLEUS.

The number of protons is commonly called the ATOMIC NUMBER and should be unique to all isotopes of that element.

For example HYDROGEN (in its most common isotope) has 1-P 0-N 1-E

One proton, zero neutrons and one electron.

Oxygen, Atomic Number 8.

therefore it has .. count 'em, 8 Protons and the isotopes have varying numbers of neutrons.

There are 8 electrons in two shells (shell 1=2, and shell 2=6).

The common isotope is Oxygen16 and has 8-P, 8-N, 8-E

Shove one of them together with two hydrogen and you have a substance which is found to exist to a high degree all over the world, it promotes decay in ferrous metals and can cause death by asphyixiation, its called Dihydro Monoxide.

2. AlistairJ
    Happy

What a wonderful instrument

You can almost see the glow from the Andromedan's chimneys.

I applaud this great mission.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Now that....

....is much more impressive than anything espoused by the made-up god myths.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Amen

to that, brother !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May I be the first

to welcome our Wolf-Rayet overlords and their mighty wind of Life As We Know It.

5. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

Is it me?

... or does the Andromeda galaxy look like the Black Hole from the Disney film of the same name?

In, through... and beyond.

6. Parax
    Boffin

Not long now..

if the rumours are to be believed, till Betelgeuse goes pop too!

7. Morpho Devilpepper
    IT Angle

Uhm...not what I expected from the headline.

Am I the only one who expected to see pics of a huge starfish puking up a half-digested Nomura's jellyfish?

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Joke

Leave

..my huge starfish and digestive habits out of this

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like