back to article Adobe debuts What Jobs Hates™ v10.1

Adobe has officially released Flash Player 10.1, a piece of software reviled by worldwide cult leader Steve Jobs. The application player is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac. But not the iPhone or the iPad. Steve Jobs has ensured that even if you translate Flash into iPhone machine code, you can't run it on the iPhone. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gerhard Mack
    FAIL

64 bit Linux support dropped

It seems they have completely discontinued 64 bit Linux support. The release is 32 bit only and the 64 bit beta is now closed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm mad at this

The only hardware you can easily buy now is all 64 bit, and to not have 64 bit flash (at least one that doesn't completely hog the processor and drag the machine to the ground) is insanity. It will open the door to Googles codecs and sign Adobe's suicide note.

For crying out loud, even the eco-PC's are going 64 bit. This is Adobe lunacy.

...unless they have a cunning plan ... it is the only thing that would make any sense.

2. Simon2
    FAIL

Flash in Firefox

I just downloaded flash 10.1. I only use Firefox so why when I go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and click the Installation instructions link, the page assumes I'm only use IE.

Then further down the page, there's the heading: Installation instructions for Windows non-Internet Explorer. It's shouldn't ****** be "non-Internet Explorer", it should say: Firefox, Opera, Chome, Safari.

Things like that reallly annoy me! The sooner HTML5 becomes standard in all browsers the better.

Then when I click the Agree and Install now button, instead of downloading an actual setup .exe (like it says on the Installation Instructions page under non-Internet Explorer)), i have to install Adobe's stupid download manager .xpi plugin first, which then downloads the latest Flash 10.1 setup to a folder, but doesn't tell me the path or filename.

Why can they just provide simple links to the install programs for each browser so I can specify where I want to download it to?!

Do they really think i'm so stupid to not even know what browser i'm using and how to navigate explorer! I really hate unesseccary bloat like that.

Then on the Thank you page, the "For Firefox users, please see the Installation Instructions" link takes me to a page for Adobe Reader. WTF!?

If Adobe can't even get their website to work properly, no wonder crApple/SJ and some other people refuse to use Flash. I don't exactly like Flash, but since I watch and upload to youtube quite a lot, I have to have it. I have NoScript so that usually blocks adverts.

1. Mark Aggleton
      Thumb Down

Simple

Don't use Fartfux

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: 'Fartfux'

Wow, that was a stretch. I fear you might have pulled something.

2. Lionel Baden
        Thumb Up

title is needed

lol but your so gonna get burned :)

3. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

sigh

Is it not past your bedtime?

2. Steven Raith
      Paris Hilton

Adobe DLM - rubbish

I see your hatred of the DLM, and raise you the fact that it quite often just doesn't work.

I've been stuck with using IE on works machines, and yesterday I had the issue where the installation repeatedly fails, then says you cancelled the install, then refuses to download it again.

So I will no doubt spend more time today sorting out Flash than I will actually installing th esoftware the client needs. Shame I can't convince them to go without.

What a load of rubbish - I can't even find the re-distributable package any more.

Steven R

Paris, because she could probably find the redist, and I suspect my inability to get it is down to not touching it for about two years now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

I'll see your "doesn't work"

..and raise you a "often leaves exploitable controls on your machine".

Fucking Adobe- and I say this as someone about to drop a wedge on Lightroom 3 and maybe even Photoshop CS5.

2. Andrew Cooper

That was hard...

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Try clicking the "problems downloading?" link when it tries to install DLM.

1. Steven Raith
          Thumb Up

Cheers all

It's been a while since i installed Adobe on a Win/IE machine, so I'm a bit out of practice in hunting down the exe. I managed to work around it, but nice to know you can still get it without too much trouble,

My workaround? Reinstall the DLM. Yes, I stabbed myself a couple of times for putting that crap on the machine.

Steven R

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Boffin

You can get a stand-alone installer

You have to click on 'Different operating system or browser?' on the Get Flash page then choose it manually.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        FAIL

Oops

I forgot to mention you have to use the other browser to do this (you have to click on 'Different operating system or browser?' on the Get Flash page then choose it manually). I.e. if you want the IE version you have to download it with Firefox.

3. Anton Ivanov
    Flame

Still no Xv support

For f*** sake, this piece of worthless spaghetti code continues to slap images on screen frame by frame. There is still no support for Xv or XvMC in it which for something which is used to display video is beyond the genuinely stupid.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So…

Still no officially released Flash for any smartphone platform then? Coming up to 3 years and counting… Way to go Adobe - that's really sticking it to the man that says you consistently fail to deliver.

Quote: " I don't exactly like Flash, but since I watch and upload to youtube quite a lot, I have to have it."

Only because you are using Firefox. Use Chrome or Safari and you can ditch Flash for YouTube too, and switch to HTML5.

1. Grazman

Flash Smartphone support

Erm...

Android 2.2 anyone?

1. RichyS
        Unhappy

@Grazman

I think it's still in Beta.

Maybe Adobe are still trying to fix the absurdly long load times...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

@Grazman re: Erm...

Yes, Android 2.2 (in beta). No mobile platforms are supported by a released version of Flash, although there is a Flash Lite which is supported on some platforms (Symbian I know for sure).

2. ScioScio
      WTF?

Try to keep up.

Steve Jobs is not a reliable source of information my friend.

I have had Flash on a succession of phones for years and years. They call it Flash Lite, it is simply an older version of the desktop edition.

The truth is the Jobs has banned it from the iPhone because of that devices poor battery life, same with multi-tasking etc. There is no other reason, everything else is a lie to cover up this deficiency, a tactic more commonly known as 'spin'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

RE: Try to keep up.

"The truth is the Jobs has banned it from the iPhone because of that devices poor battery life, same with multi-tasking etc."

Nonsense.

He's banned it for the reasons he says he's banned it. The OSX implementation is shit. They've had 10 years to sort it out but it's still a CPU hog, still crashes (randomly, I think) and still takes up more memory and disk space than it should.

Now, Adobe have had 10 years to think about getting things together on OSX and they've constantly delivered a load of garbage. What would you predict they'd do on the iPhone, exactly the same? Seems likely.

Would you trust a company with that track record to create quality software for your new device? I wouldn't. Especially since it's not necessary.

You can say what you like about Apple but OSX is a pleasure to use and so is the iPhone and the last thing they need is some cruddy CPU hog draining the iPhone batteries just because the Adobe programmers are too lazy to optimize the code.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

Seconded

Dunno for OSX as I do not use it but that is the case for Linux as well.

A machine with a CPU and video subsystem that can run Quake in 1280x1024 grinds to a crawl on a trivial Flash game. This is not surprising as the piece of bugware continues to draw everything onto the screen "kiddie style" the way a 1st year programmer does in his course project. It is drawn frame by frame and there is no use of Xv, no use of DRI, no use of OpenGL, no use of...

It sounds almost like it is being developed in a 3rd world country strictly adhering to a marketing non-technical specification. Ooops... Probably it is...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Safari extension

There's even a Safari extension that loads the H.264 codec for any YouTube video (if available), thereby bypassing Flash entirely.

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Apart from the officially released flash support

..that's already in Android 2.2?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

A beta is not an official **release**

Flash Lite is not Flash.

Wake me up if and when Adobe finally ships an official release that lacks the beta tag, and one that does not nuke my battery on my phone. My guess is that such a release is still some years away yet, if at all likely to happen. I very much doubt if Adobe can manage to produce something that is not a steaming pile of shit - extremely unlikely given their track record.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Excellent!

The best thing that could happen to Apple's dominant mobile computing platform - iPhone/iPad is for Flash to come to Android.

Melt those batteries Android-ignorami - enjoy that 20 minute Flash video cos that's all you are going to be able to watch! lol

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wha?

Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events but Apple don't have a "dominant mobile computing platform".

6. Magnus Ramage
    Big Brother

Winston Jobs' worst thing in the world?

"You asked me once," said O'Brien, "what was in Room 10.1. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 10.1 is the worst thing in the world."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Winston Jobs' worst thing in the world?

Flash then?

There is something worse than Flash:

Being repeatedly kicked in the nuts while being forced to use Flash.

7. Neil 7
    Go

@Flash in Firefox

Installed fine here - now running Flash Player v10.1.53.64 on Win7/64-bit in Firefox 3.6.3 with hardware acceleration enabled (ATI 5870).

8. Maliciously Crafted Packet

Not when you have spare batteries...

I carry around a rucksack full of replaceable batteries with me for my HTC Hero. If Im careful -turn off wifi/bluetooth etc- I can get a whole days usage out of my device.

Im also developing great big muscles on my legs... not sure if thats a good thing at my age?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

i wish it would just...

die, lets get HTML5 then kill flash.

10. Christopher Rogers
    Dead Vulture

Own goal?

Had to get a world cup reference in.

Much as the idea sickens me, i have to agree with Jobs on the dodgy nature of flash. The only thing is, no-one (including Jobs) have come up with a viable alternaltive.

And no, HTML5 is not it.

11. RichyS
    FAIL

Is this it?

How long has this been in development?

It's still only 32bit (not so bad on my Mac where it can run in a 32 bit sandbox while running 64 bit Safari); but a pain in the ass on 64 bit Windows.

And still no hardware acceleration for Mac.

Oh, and no chance if you have Chrome for Mac either.

Exactly what the feck are Adobe devs doing? Or am I mistaken in using the plural there?

The end of Flash can't come soon enough. And it'll be Adobe doing the burying.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

Um...

Not really surprising if the API for hardware acceleration that actually worked came out in 10.6.3.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

RE: Um...

The thing that surprises me most is that the problems that Flash has always had (it's bloated, buggy, and a CPU and disk-hog) probably haven't gone away in the new release. They don't claim to have done anything about them. In fact they claim that these problems don't exist. Despite demonstrable evidence to the contrary.

Now, Adobe have had since OSX 10.0 (at least) to work on these problems and haven't got it right yet.

The number one cause of global warming seems to be people visiting pages with Flash on laptops. Tried it yet? My laptop fan makes a noise like a jump-jet when I visit a page with flash.

How long will it take them to get a properly working version with hardware acceleration? My guess is that it will never work properly but it will be more bloated, contain more bugs and take up more CPU time...

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

#RE: UM

>Now, Adobe have had since OSX 10.0 (at least) to work on these problems and haven't got it right yet.

I presume you're refering to hardware acceleration of h264 - if so, they've actually only had a couple of months - Apple only just made the API for video available.

...and on Windows and since OSX 10.2 h/w acceleration for scaling etc has been available since Flash 9 leveraging DirectX and OpenGL. Several clues about this notably the 'enable hardware acceleration' checkbox in the Flash Player settings menu - though the old fashioned 'read the release notes' approach is also worth a go.

A lot of confused people in this thread. Particularly amused by the supposed IT profs who can't even manage to install it, time for a career change I think.

12. Andrew Lobban

Yes the DLM is crap..

and often doesn't work at all. You can get the standalone installers halfway down the page at

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works fine

Importantly for me it allows an ION platform (HTPC) to view the BBC HD channel/content with no issues while using <40W. Takes the lappie down to 7% cpu utilisation on HD content in Firefox. Both Windows 7 64-bit platforms.

It'll do me until someone comes up with a VIABLE alternative that doesn't involve messing about with more codec packs/drivers/players/browsers. Ubiquity is what the punter wants, not more complications to view simple video.

"And still no hardware acceleration for Mac" - oh the irony of this, I do hope you're trolling RichyS, because if you're not......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like